Canadian buying iPhone in US

SevenEleven

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Just spoke with an apple store in the US. I called to see if they have any stock. He told me that if I want to use the phone in canada I have to buy it in canada? I thought it would work on any carrier I register it to?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
The iPhone selling in the US are all LOCKED to AT&T.... Basically the only country selling locked iPhones are US (and Japan but Softbank is the only Global-Compatible GSM carrier there).... Canada/EU/Asia are all unlocked and I even heard Mexico will sell them unlocked too :rolleyes:

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Well, you can. You can't just unlock it yet (should be out within 48 hours according to comex.)

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Well, you can. You can't just unlock it yet (should be out within 48 hours according to comex.)
Still a terrible idea when he can purchase a fully unlocked iPhone 4 in Canada which will work with any SIM card...

If he can't afford it, he could just get the phone from his carrier at subsidized price rather than getting AT&T contract, paying $350 ETF, and unlocking it illegally which will break on every software update.

So it's either paying ~$600 + 1st month ATT bill = unofficial unlock
vs
CAD 659 + Tax = official unlock...

I think it's quite foolish to purchase it from the US

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
Just spoke with an apple store in the US. I called to see if they have any stock. He told me that if I want to use the phone in canada I have to buy it in canada? I thought it would work on any carrier I register it to?
Why would you buy an iPhone 4 in the USA? They're out in Canada, cheaper in Canada than the USA, and (from my understanding) even if you buy from a carrier, the iPhone 4 is still unlocked (you're just stuck in a contract).

Just curious about your decision, not trying to be a troll / flame you.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Why would you buy an iPhone 4 in the USA? They're out in Canada, cheaper in Canada than the USA, and (from my understanding) even if you buy from a carrier, the iPhone 4 is still unlocked (you're just stuck in a contract).

Just curious about your decision, not trying to be a troll / flame you.
actually if you buy it from a carrier in Canada they are still locked.. only if you buy it from the apple store then it is factory unlocked

Project-79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Canada
actually if you buy it from a carrier in Canada they are still locked.. only if you buy it from the apple store then it is factory unlocked
Really? I heard that Telus was selling unlocked iPhones under contract (i.e. They didn't have locked iPhones). I never heard anything about Rogers or Bell though...

EDIT: Also, I purchased an iPhone 4 from Rogers under contract last Friday, and under Settings -> Carrier, it gives me the option to choose between Rogers, Telus and Bell.

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
EDIT: Also, I purchased an iPhone 4 from Rogers under contract last Friday, and under Settings -> Carrier, it gives me the option to choose between Rogers, Telus and Bell.
All iPhones do that. It just shows the networks in the area that you're in.

jsh

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
My old 3G and 3G never did... The only times I could see multiple carriers was in the USA (AT&T or T-Mobile) when visiting.
My 3GS and 3G do, and they're liked to Rigers and AT&T respectively. Are they on 4.0?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.