Canadian buying refurb from apple.com (US)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kenobe23, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kenobe23 macrumors member

Hey folks,

I want to buy a refurb 2.26 MBP from apple.com. Apple.ca does not have this model in the refurb section.

I intend to have this computer shipped to a friend in Seattle, and in fact I think it's easiest for her to order it on my behalf. What I'm wondering is if this will present a problem when I apply for the $10 SL upgrade. Will I have to buy that from US apple too, or will I be able to register the computer in CA and get SL from apple canada?

I'm new to the mac world and a little unsure about how this is going to work.

Thanks for any advice...

2. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

You might want to wait an extra week or two before making the order. I've noticed that things show up in the CDN refurb store within 2 weeks or so of them showing up for the 1st time in the US one. Latest examples: Mac Mini 2.26 and all ranges of 2009 Imacs. All came within two weeks of showing up on the US side.

3. kenobe23 thread starter macrumors member

I'm also looking at the price difference. I'm guessing that since the MBP 13" retails for $300 less in the US there will be a proportional difference in the refurb price. The exchange rate is close enough that it should still be worthwhile.

4. kenobe23 thread starter macrumors member

And thank you for the quick response :)

5. snipes macrumors newbie

This model has shown up in the Canadian refurb store as well. It is priced at $799 CDN when available. I picked one up when they were available last week.

6. kenobe23 thread starter macrumors member

I think you're talking about the Mini, which the other poster mentioned. I want to buy a 13" Macbook Pro.

Right now I'm leaning towards buying it from apple.com. It doesn't seem like too much of a hassle, and I'm not confident I'll get one for as good a price if and when it shows up on apple.ca.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

remember to add on the state sales tax that your friend will have to pay

8. kenobe23 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's true, and sales tax in Washington is pretty similar to BC (I believe 10% vs. 12% here.)

I'm figuring all in (MBP + tax + exchange rate) it should be about $1200 CDN. I may use the computer for 6-8 months and sell it in favor of an iMac whenever the new ones come out. I figure I should be able to sell it at not too much of a loss early in 2010, considering a new one here is $1400 before tax. I've noticed that Macbooks move quickly on craigslist here in Victoria.

9. Wakakanada macrumors regular

Duty?

Of course, there would also be import duty and taxes to pay when you bring it across the border into Canada. Unless you intend to smuggle it across in which case you risk huge consequences. When you factor in the risk and all the time and effort to bring it up from the States, is it really worth it :confused:

10. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

There would be duty if it's not made in the USA I believe. I think only computer software is exempt. BC sales tax would also apply. Of course, if you stayed in the states for over a week, you would be eligible for $750.00 worth of duty/tax free goods.

11. kenobe23 thread starter macrumors member

There are some challenges, but the difference in pricing between Canada and US as well as lack of refurb stock at apple.ca has made me look into these options.

I will report back when I figure out what to do... TBH I might consider a linux machine instead. No cross-border hassle that way.