Canadian driving to US for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by King Luis, Mar 8, 2011.

1. King Luis macrumors 6502

would i be able to buy one? and what are my chances on getting one that weekend?

2. marcellus7 macrumors newbie

sure y not. maybe u should get there pre-launch and brave the lines to be sure to get one, but the higher price models probably wont sell out

3. profets macrumors 601

Honestly there's no way to tell. All depends on how far you are and if you're willing to make that drive to get it a few weeks earlier.

4. King Luis thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm just outside toronto and was going to drive to buffalo. planning on getting the wifi 64gb. i guess i should just call the friday night and check then head down on saturday morning if they have any available.

our exchange rate is good right now and since the prices are already $30 cheaper and hardly any tax compared to us canadians i'm sure i'll be saving a bunch of cash.

5. landscapeman macrumors regular

I cant see why you wouldnt. I do not think that the lines are going to be as huge as with the first. Good Luck

6. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

a couple of us are going to buy as many as we can and resell on ebay :p

7. profets macrumors 601

Thats not bad.. I'm actually 30 minutes from the Buffalo border and was thinking of going on the weekend at one point.

One thing we don't know yet though - canadian pricing for ipad2. Maybe it will be less than a $50 difference (assuming this based on ipad1 price drop in US vs CDN).

Also, there's sales tax in buffalo and then the worry about claiming it or not at the border for another 13% tax.

8. King Luis thread starter macrumors 6502

hidden compartments in my car can easily hide the ipad box. also, when you come back just say they were sold out. lol :p

hopefully apple doesn't screw canadians over with the price like they have been doing as of late.

9. Macuser1066 macrumors member

I would be careful about not declaring a purchase. On the US side if you are caught your car and items will seized a penalty imposed. Better to declare and pay the 13% tax - it's a lot cheaper

10. profets macrumors 601

^Yeah.. I dunno if I'd want to get caught not declaring a purchase and have an even bigger penalty to pay.

Using the base iPad as an idea for price, sales tax in Buffalo is 8%, so that puts the iPad 16GB at $540 with tax. If Apple prices it at $550 still then you're still a bit ahead even if you declare and pay tax at the border.

11. Steel28 macrumors member

I hope if I bring iPad2 3G (GSM version) back in Canada it will work with Rogers..anyone?

12. delacruzjeff macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

this is a good question.

check this out -->
    http://www.ipadincanada.ca/ipad-news/apple-confirms-ipad-2-3g-att-model-from-us-unlocked/

13. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

Oh sir, do you not remember the horror stories for the original iPad launch. There were more than a few Canadians who tried to get back across the border without declaring the iPad and got caught. If you don't think the border officials don't know about the launch of big ticket electronic items like the iPad, then you're kidding yourself.
    Much better to declare it an pay the taxes to be safe.
    As for saving a lot of money - you actually won't. If the prices stay the same, then it's only going to be a $50 difference between American and Canadian price.
    By travelling, that difference is eaten up by State tax, border tax, gas, food, etc...
    In the end it costs more.
    But you'll have the iPad 2 earlier than most Canadians.

14. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

Yes. I bought the original iPad 3G in Seattle at launch. It works just fine with all the carriers in Canada. Remember, the iPad is an unlocked device. The only difference this year is the Verizon one.
    If you go to the US, make sure to buy the AT&T 3G version.

15. Durious macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm heading to Portland Maine to the apple store myself... 7 and 1/2 hours both way... Will likely jump in line 3 hours early hopefully its early enough!

16. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

Did they happen to ask for any ID when you purchased the iPad. I'm having some friends from Canada come in this weekend and they might be looking to pick one up. Since it is the US launch and it doesn't come officially to Canada until the 25th.

17. canadianipad macrumors regular

canadianipad

No ID needed. They don't care if you're from Canada.
    I was at the University Apple store in Seattle and was first in line. They said for the original iPad WiFi launch the first person in line was also from Canada.
    It doesn't matter where you're from.

18. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

wasnt there a story about apple not accepting cash at their stores?

19. Steel28 macrumors member

Thanks for suggestions. Anyone got 3G so far and used it with Rogers?

Cheers

20. Durious macrumors 6502

I got 3G version but haven't gone to Rogers to get a sim card... Thinking of using aliant though I think I got better coverage with it in my area

21. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I bought one from Ebay and it will get to me by Tuesday. I will stick in my sim card and let you know.

22. Steel28 macrumors member

thanks Steve, let me know!