Canadian Factory Unlocked iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B1fin, May 2, 2011.

1. B1fin macrumors newbie

If I buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada will it work when I update it on iTunes in USA. A tec told me it would lock up if I sync it and update it on iTunes. I thought if it's factory unlocked it is forever? They said iTunes in USA is a different system and will lock the phone. I now have Cydia and use T-mobile.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3. B1fin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I thought so but it's scary to spend $650 on something.

4. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Factory unlock means just that, how can iTunes remove your Canadian factory unlock iPhones from their database by just performing an update?

As long as you have your receipt that you purchased it factory unlocked you can tame it back to an Apple genius for them to unlock it again or give you in exchange an equivalent unit.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whatever tech you spoke to was clueless or was mistakenly thinking about JB and software unlock.
    Like people said once a phone is factory unlocked it will never lock again and will accept any GSM sim.

6. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Thanx for the good info, AJuiced. :D

I'm about to take a vacation w/a stopover in Canada -- and some friends want a factory unlocked iPhone.

Maybe I'll pick up one or two and sell them. Factory unlocked White versions seem to be fetching a slight premium ATM; but I'm not sure how long that will last.