Canadian iMac Owners: Purchasing RAM Online

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Italchef, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Italchef macrumors 6502

I'm about to purchase a new iMac and wanted to know about online RAM dealers in Canada. I've found reasonably priced RAM at canadaRAM.com which offers Kingston brand for a bit more and "certified". So, two questions here: has anyone bought online in Canada, and if so what did you buy? Secondly, should I go with the more expensive Kingston brand or will the "certified" product work just as well?
    Your input is greatly appreciated.

Mickmac

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

My knowledge of RAM isn't the greatest, but for the vast majority of users, it either works or doesn't (not recognized, kernal panics, etc.). I have gone for the less expensive ram and it has performed fine.

Probably the most important is to go with a vendor that garantees the RAM and will accept returns / replacements if faulty.

I have used CanadaRam for almost all of my RAM purchases here in Canada, and have been completely satisfied.

Edit: I did just get a 2Gb stick for our new iMac - I chose the cheaper RAM (I don't recall the name) - no problems at all.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'll be interested to know what people think, too. I've purchased RAM from Crucial in the past for a Dell laptop, and when I put RAM in my PowerBook I got it from there too. Now that I have an iMac I may look into upgrading its RAM from 1 gig.

It actually seems pretty zippy even with the stock RAM (but then, I'm coming from a 1 GHz G4 with 512 MB...)

Edit: interesting price differentials from the two sites. 1 gig and 2 gig sticks are $47 and $260 USD from Crucial, versus $75 and $193 Cdn from CanadaRAM.

4. ramb27 macrumors member

Have you tried OWC? http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Models.cfm?stype=Memory&3349

Even after shipping costs you can probably get Apple factory original Samsung or Micron for less than you'd pay for Kingston in Canada.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I trust CanadaRAM implicitly. Trevor from CanadaRAM has been a valuable member of the MacRumors community for many years now. All of their RAM is tested and guaranteed to work, so there really isn't any reason to not go with the cheapest option they offer.

6. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

7. Italchef thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for all your quick replies. It's good to know that I can go with the cheaper option and still get a product that will perform well. 4GB iMac...here I come!

Mickmac

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Another very satisfied CanadaRAM customer here. Definitely my top recommendation. :cool:

9. imacan macrumors regular

10. cyantist macrumors newbie

You can also take a look at www.ncix.com . I've ordered lots of stuff from them in the past.. Fast shipping and decent prices..