Canadian iPhone 4's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MIT007, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MIT007 macrumors newbie

Hello - I am planning to purchase an iPhone 4 from someone who says it is sealed and can be activated on either FIDO or Rogers. Is this possible? I read a few other articles that state the iPhone is 'soft unlocked' - and only gets sim (carrier) locked when it is activated. Can anyone confirm this?

I understand that there are UNLOCKED iPhone 4's / 4s's- which are different.

Thnx,
    MIT007

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

What you need to ask is if the phone was purchased factory unlocked directly from Apple, or if it was purchased from a carrier (either Fido or Rogers). If it was purchased from the carrier, it is locked to that carrier. Unlike some other phones, iPhones are not able to be used on both Rogers and Fido despite being the same company ultimately.

Now there have been some murmurs about the phone only locking to the carrier once activated in itunes, but I wouldn't give anyone money for the phone until I saw it working with the SIM in it.

3. MIT007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - that was my plan (to only purchase once I see it works on my carrier SIM).I know this was NOT purchased from the Apple store, it was purchased from the Carrier. Does having it sealed still make a difference?

Has anyone done this to a FIDO iPhone or a Rogers iPhone?