Canadian iPhone for AT&T provider

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heidibailey2, May 25, 2011.

1. Heidibailey2 macrumors newbie

Hi, my AT&T iphone got stolen while I m in Toronto. :mad: :( Since I still have another 1.5 yr contract with ATT and I m not eligible for upgrade till December. I thought it might be a good idea 2 get an unlock iphone in Toronto. So that I can easily get a sim card when I travel internationally. Has anyone done this b4?? If I do that, how to get new sim card that will work with AT&T?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

A factory unlocked phone will work with any GSM carrier in the world. If you buy one, simply go back to your AT&T store and request a new SIM card. Your phone will work with AT&T and it will also work with any other GSM carrier if you happen to travel or feel like switching to T-Mobile.

And sorry about your iPhone getting stolen! :(

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

To get a factory unlocked one you might need to go specifically to an Apple store (at least to make sure it's unlocked without any wait/hassle).

Not sure if you can get a AT&T sim card without hitting a AT&T store, however isn't Toronto right next to new york?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah, he will have to wait until he gets back to the USA to get a new ATT SIM.
    In addition, OP, I forgot to mention that if you're going to buy a phone off contract up here, make sure it's at an Apple store because that's the only place that you can get factory unlocked iPhones. If you buy outright from a carrier up here it will be locked to that carrier. Just thought I should clarify.

A factory unlocked phone could prove itself nicely, they have a higher resale value than a locked phone and software unlocked phone.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Go to an apple store, buy an unlocked iPhone. Have one of your family members go to an AT&T store, get a new SIM for your account (they should give it for free), and have them mail that to you. Put sim in your phone and enjoy.

6. Heidibailey2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you all 4 replying my post. Your guys are very helpful and resourceful.

I m in Toronto only till this sat. I probably will not come back. But I will be going to Alberta in July. Can I return it back to apple store if iPhone does not work 4 me in US? Any Canadian here??

Again thank u. U guys r awesome.