Canadian iPhone Question (Not About Release Date)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, May 17, 2008.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Hi,

If I buy an iPhone in Canada when it eventually comes out, do I have to pay money to surf on my iPhone in the United States? Even if I get an unlimited data plan? I was just wondering because I visit the United States a lot.

Thanks!

2. igglepuff macrumors regular

yea, you will. rogers offers a few data roaming plans, but its rediciously expensive (though so is most roaming data i believe). any package rogers iwll release for the iphoen adn data will only be wiht in canada, as soon as you're out of rogers coverage on another network, you'll have ot pay data roaming, either by the kb, or on a prepaif block package (ie: 20mb roaming data, and charged at X/kb over that)

3. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

Thanks! It's too bad though. I would have LOVED using the Internet in the United States to find stores with food, games, etc.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Them's the brakes. If I were to use my iPhone in Canada, AT&T would charge me for data roaming too.

However, you would be able to use it via wifi at no additional cost in the U.S. if you are at a place with wireless internet.

5. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

Thanks, forgot about Wi-Fi!!!

6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Other Plans Available

It may not be too bad.

Most providers on both side of the border will have a North American plan.

When I was with ATT back in the States, I had their NA plan. All calls in US and Canada were just like a local call.

I'm back in Canada now, and Telus has the same thing. If I go for trips to the States that are longer then 1 week, I switch to the North American plan, and the switch back upon my return. Saves quite a bit on roaming, etc.

I think Rogers has a similar plan called digital one:
    http://your.rogers.com/business/wireless/plans_services/business_plans.asp?plan=dor&cat=1&typ=2

I'll be dumping Telus and switching to rogers when the iPhone hits.