Canadian iPhone4 Warranty Work in US?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kayan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Kayan macrumors 6502

I know that the iPhone's warranty is valid in the "country of purchase", however, I heard a rumor that Apple opened up the warranty service to be in effect anywhere in North America. Is this true? I ask because I'm looking to have a friend ship me a Canadian iPhone4, but I would not buy it from there if I cannot repair/replace my iPhone in US if something were to happen. If you have an answer, please provide the link of your source, I want official Apple documentation if this is true.

2. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I don't know the answer, but if you are looking at unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada, I don't think you will get replacements in the US. You might, but they might be locked to AT&T. As far as I know you can't get an unlocked iPhone 4 in the US.
    They might repair it though. Not sure.

3. draz macrumors 6502a

I haven't seen anything official about it. But if you want service then Apple Store US should offer you something. It is too early to tell yet as I haven't read of someone going to the US Apple store with an iPhone not bought in that country and being denied service.

4. zigprop macrumors newbie

Non US factory unlocked iphones

I just got off the phone with apple care. I was told any warranty repairs or replacement of device are country specific. Furthermore a us apple store can not replace a defective unlocked canadian iPhone with a us phone. You can send to canada a defective device from the us but they will not mail a replacement phone out of the country. In other words you have to travel to canada or have a friend in Canada to resolve warranty issues.