Canadian moved to US, iPhone Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dillyh, Apr 30, 2010.

1. dillyh macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'm a Canadian who has recently relocated to the US for work and I was looking for input on what my options are related to my iPhone.

I have an iPhone 3G that's still under contract from Fido in Canada. However, the roaming rates are absolutely ridiculous in the US. $1.45/minute for calls, $0.75/text and $0.03/KB. I really want to be able to use all the features of my iPhone down here, especially GPS/Maps to find my way around San Francisco.

I also realize that there will be a new iPhone coming out this summer, so I'm not wanting to go out and buy a 3GS now and then have to wait 2 years to get a "new" iPhone (or spend a lot of money to get a new phone out of contract). Once that new phone arrives, I'll be happy to ditch my current Fido contract and sign a 2 year contract to get the new phone.

Lastly, I'd like to have a local US number for people to call me on, rather than having them have to call my Canadian number (long-distance).

My initial plan was to unlock my current iPhone 3G, buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card from AT&T and use that until the new iPhone arrives this summer. However, from viewing the AT&T forums it appears that this isn't possible.

Does anyone have suggestions on what my options may be in this situation? Or is it easiest to just swallow the cost of my extra-expensive Canadian iPhone for a few months?

Thanks for your help!

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Buy a cheap prepaid phone/sim until you can get the new iPhone

3. Lara F macrumors 6502a

What OS version are you on? That will determine if you can unlock via jailbreak.