Canadian needs to use voice/data iPhone in USA for 6 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by imorton, Jul 21, 2011.

1. imorton, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

imorton macrumors 6502

I have a canadian friend who wants to do the "snowbird thing" and spend his winter months travelling with a camper thru various US states.

He would like to use an Iphone in the US for the 6 winter months. He would like to have a voice/data/tethering plan while he travels throughout the USA.

Does anybody have any ideas how he would accomplish this, and what kind of short term (6 month) plans or pre-paid options available?

Any idea as to the amount of voice/data plans would @ cost?

He has a locked canadian iPhone4 at the present moment, would it be able to be un-locked, or jail-broken, and used thru ATT?

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts on this. :)

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

His best bet is to unlock his iPhone 4 with a Gevey SIM and get a pre-paid with AT&T or something. International rates are exorbitant, especially with data. I live in Canada (Telus) and when I visited Florida, my data rates were $3.00/MB. :eek: Needless to say, I grabbed a $20 unlimited international text plan and stuck with that for the few weeks I was there and turned off my cellular data. :p

3. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, $3.00/MB, that's more expensive than gold.... :)

I wonder if there are any other options for a 6 month snowbird to use while travelling with an RV thru the USA?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes the other option was in the first sentece of his respose, its called a Gevey Sim, it lets you put SIM cards from other carriers, so your friend could get a ATT SIM and use that while he is in the US

5. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply, and I searched the Gevey SIM, sounds good.

Now if my friend is in the US, what type of voice/data (min 2 Gig/month) plans or pre-paid are available for 6 month stays...?

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im not sure about that maybe ATT has something for people like that i know many canadians go south for 6 months at a time so there must be some kind of plan for them or maybe its a full contract and they can suspend it for a few months he is back in Canada