Canadian Pricing Predictions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ClassicBean, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

With new notebooks being released tomorrow (Tuesday, October 14th), any thoughts on what the pricing will be like here in Canada?

Remember, current prices reflect a Canadian dollar valued at about 95 cents. Today, our loonie is worth a mere 86 cents.

At that price, a $1999 MacBook pro in the states would be over $2300 instead of the $2099 it's priced at now.

Since Apple tends to reconfigure their exchange rate whenever new gear is released, it should be interesting to see what happens.

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thank you for (rightly) bursting my bubble :(

Without any evidence or reasoning to back up this claim, my intuition is that a base MBP will still cost about $2,000 CAD.

3. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping they set the prices in stone on or before October 1st when our dollar was worth about 94 cents.

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Although I hope for the same, I just can't imagine that being the case. Given the economic turmoil in the US, I think Apple will do almost anything to maximize profits. If I remember correctly, their stock was approximately the same price about a year ago.

Come to think of it, I'm just happy I bought all my photographic equipment when the loonie was soaring at 99/1.0!

5. im_noahselby macrumors member

I agree. Apple will choose to maximize their profits by bumping up the price of the Canadian MacBooks and MacBook Pro's to reflect today's values. :(

6. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well you never know. Apple has to set the pricing in advance of the release.sHow far in advance remains the question. Two weeks and we're golden.

7. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I pray that you are right... my fingers are crossed and my credit card is ready (this will be painful) :)