Canadian sniper's 3.5km kill shot

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jbarley, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I worked with the Canuks during Anaconda and marksmanship is their genes, they push snipers down pretty far in the hierarchy IIRC every squad had one.

3. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Well,it's amazing,but in that distance,can the sniper be really sure it was the right guy that was spotted and killed? I done some sniper training myself,hit the target is one thing,to be sure before shot that it's the right target is something different.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I'd love to know what piece of glass they had on that thing.

I am guessing a ballistic computer was probably also involved.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Most likely some "zoom" scope with magnification,and of course some ballistic calculator.
    A trained marksman could do long range kills with rather simple gear,if the gear is designed for it. I once shot a moving roe deer in a field 550 meters away,with a Mauser m41b 6,5 MM sniper rifle withouth problems.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Nice! The 41b's are awesome! I have virtually zero experience shooting moving targets at distance with rifle rounds, but I imagine it's hard to do and takes a ton of practice.

The longest I've done has been around 1100 at a stationary target with a modified Rem 700 chambered in .338 Lapua with (IIRC) a Schmidt and Bender PM2. It was mostly the gun as I'm a pretty average shooter and I mainly shoot .22 and .223 so my experience with larger calibers is kind of limited. But it was a lot fun! (even the long drive to the plot of land was good times)

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

A shot like that requires a bit more than some zoom.

In the article in it said a drone and traditional spotter was used to spot. Shooting long distance in Afghanistan is harder than it is most places because of the mountains and extreme temperature changes. In this case I'm not ever sure the shooter saw his target in the traditional sense I'd bet it was a drone feed to his "scope" with it making the adjustments.