Canadian why are you hating 3 years contract? Do your damn MATH

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Jul 8, 2008.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I am not sure why people have been this negative about the three year contracts, perhaps you should get your facts straight. First all of, the cost of an 8gb iphone has been reported to be anywhere between 600-750 CAD$, while the 16gb is 700-850 CAD$. These prices are reported from other carriers in the world where they offer unlocked iphones.

Now, given that you now know the price of the iphone itself, the contract actually cost you nothing. Rogers ECF (cancellation fee) is 20$ a month up to a maximum of $400. In other words, at the worst case 199+400, you are still coming out ahead if not the same as if you bought the phone unlocked without a contract. If you use the phone for a year and a half or more than you are definitily coming out ahead.

You might ask, well but the plan sucks wah wah wah. A contract with rogers does not tie you with any specific plan. You can go ahead with a voice plan only during those 3 years and it would cost you nothing more than if you used another phone.

Bottom line: 3 years contract gives you a heavy discount on the phone with no downside. Best case, you get the phone for 199. Worst case, you break the contract and pay the original price you would have anyway

(disclaimer, I hate rogers as much as the next guy because I want unlimited data, but fact is fact.)

2. iPaul macrumors regular

It is egregious any way you slice it.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

We did our math, you need to do your research, they are not complaining about that at all. The main point of complaint is the completely unfair data plans and their pricing of them.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Data plan issue side (which I wholeheartedly agree), a lot of people including the press is complaning about the 3 year plan.

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

The iPhone without data in the contract is

$249 and $349

6. Pandora01 macrumors regular

We are allowed to not like being locked in for 3 years, and we are allowed to say we don't like it... "damn math" or no "damn math." What is your problem?

Maybe you're Ted Rogers? Sheesh!