Canadian wireless customers.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigpoppamac31, Oct 16, 2011.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Of the "big four" wireless carriers in Canada (Rogers, Fido, Bell, Telus) which would you recommend to get the new iPhone 4S?

2. zgh1999 macrumors 6502

3. Yofi macrumors member

Whichever has the best promotion right now. I saw some good $70 promotions from Telus and Virgin with 6 GB of data.

4. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I was with Rogers for the 3 yr contract with my 3G iPhone. I would definitely not recommend them. I've heard good things about Telus but haven't actually used them. Between those choices I would pick Telus.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I only ask cause right now I'm with Fido and have one year remaining on my contract with an iPhone 3G. My contract ends next september but I am allowed to upgrade within the last six month which means I still have to wait until March to upgrade. Fido wants $200 for me to cancelled my final year if I wanted to do so and resign a new contract with a new iPhone 4S. That likely means I would lose all the "fido dollars" I've earned over the course of the contract so far which is $137 worth that I would have put towards the new phone. My iPhone 3G is really aging and if I have to wait until March to upgrade it seems I may as well just wait until the next iPhone is put out.

What do you guys think? Should I cancel and resign a new deal either with Fido or someone else or wait out my contract and upgrade when I'm "technically" allowed to. Fido has been good to me and I had no issues with them plus those "fido dollars" would really help towards my new phone.

6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

been with Telus since it was called Clearnet ... great company :cool:

8. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm just wondering what I should do cause my iPhone 3G feels really antiquated now.

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Bell and Telus' discount carriers Virgin and Koodo are also carrying the iPhone 4S.

All the carriers are ripoffs, but some are only slightly less so than others.

10. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah but would it make sense to pay off my contract and sign up fresh (either stay with Fido or go somewhere else) or wait it out and upgrade when I'm supposed to?

11. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I'm on fido.. I find they have really good customer service and apprentice a customer.

I also have a phone n telus. Telus doesn't care about the customer at all. I was treated better by telus while I was month to month. As soon as I went on a 3 year contract they treated me like garbage... Never mind the lies and misinformed staff.
    Also, from my experience in my city the iPhone runs better on Rogers and fidos gsm network. For some reason telus causes lost calls or poor sound quality.

12. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah Fido has been good to me and I've always been with them since I first got a cell phone. It's just that my iPhone 3G is really showing it's age. I've had apps crash, the phone shut off on me and not come back on for about a half hour (it was plugged in), overall sluggishness, the camera sucks compared to the new one and I can't get iOS 5. I really want the new one but can't afford to pay full price but I'm getting impatient.

13. TImm3h macrumors newbie

I am with Fido and happy with them, except for wanting to upgrade early. They stated that I would have to pay $300 ECF 2 years into a contract, and they were not willing to meet me halfway. Only problem is their contacts STACK if you upgrade early. in 2 years I earned 75$ fido dollars. Which are only usefull towards upgrades and they charge you a $25 upgrade fee....

One thing I found out and I am planning on doing is, you get one free switch from fido to rogers. They waive the ECF. All you have to do is call in, port your fido number over have the same name and have had fido for at least 1 year. Their plans are slighlty different and depending on your needs may cost more.

14. Headlighted macrumors member

I've been with Telus, Rogers and Bell. Coming up on 2 years with Bell, happiest I've ever been with a carrier and my cell service.

Another thing to look at is the best coverage in your area as that determines your data speeds and call quality.

15. Macnator, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

Macnator macrumors 6502

I'm on Rogers. I've been perfectly happy with the service, the speed is fast and almost everywhere I go has coverage. Some areas in and around Cottage Country have spotty coverage but that's about it from my experience.

My sister has a Blackberry on Bell and has no complaints. We don't have any experience with Telus though.

16. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyway just thought I'd try and get some opinion on what I should do.

17. TImm3h macrumors newbie

I agree with whoever said to check your coverage. When my wife goes home to the fort erie region she has no reception with telus. To be fair though, it is a CDMA phone. Also when we are camping only my fido phone gets coverage. (Algonquin Park, Bonnechere, Sharbot Lake) My old bell CDMA phone does not get coverage there either.... I have been with all major 4 and fido/rogers is the way to go. While their customer service could have issues... how often are you really going to call?

18. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

I like Fido and have no issues with them. But would it make financial sense to cancel the final year of my contract and pay $200 to cancel or wait until I'm eligible to upgrade?

19. TImm3h macrumors newbie

Well who are you going to? see what I wrote above, about switching to rogers for free....

20. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Find which carrier has the best coverage in the areas you'll be the most. My business account is Bell and personal account is Rogers, personally I've had better luck dealing with Rogers. Neither are fantastic, so go with the one that gives you the best coverage in your area.

I've been with Rogers since it was Cantel.

21. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyways. None of you answered my question really. It's almost a "yes" or "no" answer.

22. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'd venture to say no one feels like they can know if this is a sound financial choice for you or not!

I can say you probably would not regret doing it at all from the phone performance side of things.

23. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I guess but it's a lot of money to throw down. I don't exactly have $200 just sitting around for the fun of it.

24. stevemiller macrumors 65816

i feel your pain. i had an aging 3g on fido myself, luckily my hardware upgrade window opened right when the 4s came out.

but it is a tough call. telus has a really attractive $70 plan that gets you 6gb/200 min/my10 that part of me wishes i'd hopped on. i called fido retentions to ask them if they could do anything comparable to what others offered, and they knocked about $10 off my monthly bill... but i'm still stuck with 500mb data and having to pay for a canadian long distance package to keep in touch with parents, when the my10 option with other carriers would have rendered it unnecessary.

all said i'm paying an average of $5/mo more than i would with a different carrier, but that works out to $180 over 3 years, which is less than the $200 ECF and $100 in fido dollars that helped cover the 4S hardware cost. there would have been less 'baggage' if i was closer to the end of my contract, but as you said, the 3g gets pretty frustrating, and a person's time and annoyance are things that need to be weighed as well.

you really just have to weigh out your personal needs and decide which option is best. good luck.

25. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

There you go looks like you have your own answer, if you don't have the cash doesn't really matter what a bunch of strangers on a forum think.