Canadian wireless providers Bell and Telus to launch iPhone next month

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NXTMIKE, Oct 5, 2009.

1. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Good post! I just read this online. I wonder if Bell will offer term-free purchases out-of-the-gate.

3. abz786 macrumors 6502

would you guys make the switch?
    current rogers iphone 3gs owner (horrible luck with the iphone and rogers bad network) --> bell/telus?

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I don't have an iPhone. I have a failing Palm Treo on Bell's prepaid service. I would be interested in more flexible data-only plans, but generally am interested in seeing more competition.

5. tryppy macrumors member

Hell yes I'll switch. That will net me an employee discount! I had no idea of this. But I don't work in the mobility sector.

oh this excites me to no end.

6. charliehustle macrumors 6502

telus is notoriously known for screwing over their customers..

7. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I have both a bell phone and an iPhone on Rogers and travel in South and South Western Ontario and unless Bell has increased their coverage I wouldn't think of it as their coverage sucks.

8. charliehustle macrumors 6502

I copied and pasted a readers comments on the article..

can anyone shed some light on it to see if he's right or not?

The author does not know his facts. All iPhones are GSM and not CDMA. I have not heard any iPhones using CDMA coming out. Telus and Bell cell phone network is CDMA not GSM. The iPhone can only use the data part of the Telus and Bell network (high-speed packet access - HSPA)

It is also not cost effective currently to do a voice call over a cellular data network (HSPA).

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

According to the article Bell will launch their GSM network next month:

It would have been obvious to that commenter if he had actually read the article.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

He failed to read the article :

2 things comes to mind :

1- Bell is the absolute worse in customer service.
    2- New network = probably very bad coverage. Though Bell today enjoys the best coverage of all cellular networks in Canada, building a whole new network will mean a few months or years of decreased coverage.

11. charliehustle macrumors 6502

ya, I thought something didn't sound right..

thanks a lot..

12. profets macrumors 68040

#1 i agree with.. but #2 is incorrect. Bell/Telus' new HSPA network has the same coverage as their current cdma network. if you get an iphone or other hspa phone with bell/telus soon, you'll be on 3G 100% of the time, no edge fallback.

13. profets macrumors 68040

14. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've avoided the iPhone because I don't want a 3 year contract with Robbers which is the least competitive company in the world. They just buy out all their competition, and offer sh*t service at monopoly prices.

Bell and Telus aren't much better, but at least I'm being treated with respect by Telus. So I might be down for this.

However, I was also waiting for that new Globalive GSM provider to launch next year. If they offer an iPhone, or at least some Android phones, I'd love to support the new comer and support competition, and hope that Rogers doesn't buy them.