Canadians + iphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisbb, Jun 12, 2009.

1. chrisbb macrumors member

Hi.
    Just a question.

I read that Rogers + Fido are bringing back that plan for $30/month w/ 6GB etc. I was looking at getting a 3G iphone, but not sure whether that plan is going to be sufficient.

Does anyone know from past experiences how that $30 is, and what it includes like minutes text etc etc?
    Also, is there data included in that plan (I assume so because of the 6GB etc)?

Thanks.
    C

2. briank911 macrumors newbie

the $30 includes 6 gigs of data usage. it doesn't include anything else (voice minutes, texts, etc.). you have to pay for that stuff separately.

3. chrisbb thread starter macrumors member

I see.
    So that would be:

$30 plan (minutes etc etc) + $30 data = $60 total.

Do you know if there is a possibility of NO data plan.
    Just the minutes etc.

Mind you, might not be a lot of point getting an iphone if i'm not using it for data?!

thanks.
    C

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you used to be able to get an iPhone without a data plan on Rogers/Fido, but they won't do that anymore. If you want one without data you have to get it used.

edit: it's also going to be more than $60 once you factor in a texting/voicemail pack, system access fee, 911 fee, taxes...

5. junkmeh macrumors newbie

you must have a voice AND data plan for Rogers.

6. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Or if you wanted you could get Rogers to match or beat Fido's $35 Voice Plan which includes: 350 minutes billed by the second, unlimited evenings and weekends starting a 7PM, unlimited text messages sent/received, no system access fee and no 911 fee + includes Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Minute Tracker. You could probably get Rogers to change those three features maybe to beat Fido's plan.

7. chrisbb thread starter macrumors member

thanks.
    sounds like the iphone is not for me, right now.

8. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

You can get an iPhone in Canada without a data plan. I don't know what everybody else in here is saying. I just got myself an iPhone yesterday from Fido without a data plan. I got it with Fido's $25/month plan and and call display. Because the plan I got was <$30, I had to pay $50 more for the phone itself, but that isn't a big deal. I called Fido today and had them block data on my account and now I have an iPhone that won't end up costing me $3500 by the time the contract is up.

9. chrisbb thread starter macrumors member

WOW!
    that sounds like a good deal!

I think I'll talk to Fido soon then!
    How are you liking their service? Any problems?

10. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

Ya it was a great deal in my opinion. No complaints about the service so far. And I would talk to Fido as soon as you can because the guy I bought the phone from said that Roger's/Fido were going to be changing their plans around to accommodate the iPhone 3Gs, and he said it may become a requirement to have a data plan after next Friday. So look into it as soon as you can.

11. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I got a message from Fido stating that an iPhone cannot be activated without a data plan so it seems that they may be changing it after all.

12. chrisbb thread starter macrumors member

Crap.
    Just got off the phone with them.

You have to have both the minutes and data plans in order to start the contract now :(
    Ah well, was worth a shot!