Canadians who moved to the US?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by VPrime, Nov 3, 2010.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

So, it looks like my parents (and I guess my brothers and I as well :cool:) will be moving to the states within the next few years... Or at least want to.
    Just wondering what our options are?

Because of the US/Canadian dollar and the low cost of real-estate my parents are looking to buy a house now. They are looking in northern California as we have some family there (Mountain View, Tracy, and some place that starts with a B... I think Brent wood?).
    They were also looking into souther California, actually put down an offer on a place that was too good of a deal (I think it was in Wildamore?)... But the real place we will end up living will be more north near San Francisco.

Any ways, has any one done a similar? Any advice? I know we will have some issues with getting a Green Card, but since we won't be moving for a few years that gives us some time to sort it out. Worst case Scenario we can come back to Canada for a little bit every 6 months until we get permanent resident status.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Hi VPrime ... I am Canadian and spend a fair bit of time in the USA as my Mother and Sister are both US Citizens.

Here is my family's experience ... this move is not going to be easy.

It is very hard to move to the US without some serious backing from an employer ... and then there needs to be no Americans able to do the job you are looking for. With the economy that hurdle is huge as there are many qualified Americans willing and able to fill most positions. Also In most cases The Green Card lottery is not open to Canadians.

It is not like coming to Canada where almost anyone can move here and work.
    The US takes this much more serious than Canada.

My Mother and Sister both Married Americans and it took them 10 years to become full US Citizens.

You can find all the info you need from the US government website

http://www.usa.gov/

good luck and cheers

3. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Thanks for the reply.
    I should give a bit more details.
    My parents won't be working there. They will be dealing with real-estate (rental properties). My mom has shown some interest in opening up a restaurant or coffee shop in the US.

My younger brother and I, will be separate issues.. We are both (well I am, and he will be by the time we move) ove 21. Both will have University degrees (Computer science), and *hopefully* still have our own software company (hoping every thing continues to go well until then). But really, I am less worried about us than I am my parents.

I have been doing lots of reading the past few days. Some of the US government sites make it look like it is a simple process and they have open arms.. Then others make it look much harder. That is the main reason why I am asking online- looking for some firsthand experience of the process.

I don't think my parents care to be full US citizens, they would be just happy with a legal way to live there.

Because they plan to run their own business (and will already have a house paid for in cash with no loan) could this not help their situation?
    I was thinking that this could show the government that they would not be feeding off the system, and if my mom WAS to open up a restaurant or coffee shop then it would be creating potential jobs for other Americans.
    Though, I don't think this is how it works :eek:.

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Already some good info in this thread...your only chance of a green card short of marrying a US citizen is:

"You can become a lawful permanent resident by establishing a new commercial enterprise and provide full-time employment to at least ten U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, or other immigrants with employment authorization."

http://usimmigration.visapro.com/EB5.asp

***Disclaimer Green-card holding Canuck living in the US :eek:

-J.-

5. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

ITguy, thanks. That seem like the simplest way for my parents.

Anyone else got some info they would like to share? :)

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, be very x10 careful about purchasing property in the States right now.

Your parents might find that they own nothing.

Your lawyers need lawyers in this market.

7. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

if you're unmarried and under 21 at the time your parents file (not when they are approved) you can be classified as a child following with (shorter wait time) and your age is "frozen" until approval is given. Your parents need to file in the 9th circuit, they're much more immigrant friendly.

8. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Well I am 22. My younger brother is 19, and by the time we actually decide what we are going to do (as far as moving is concerned) he might be 21, or over.

Thanks for the tip about 9th circuit, will look into it.

Can you be a little more specific? I Tried googling, but couldn't find anything that sounded as scary as you say :D.

Oh one more thing my parents were thinking. Have the home in the US as a vacation home. Spend about 5 months (max limit?) in the US (for the winter) and then come back to canada for the summer.
    I know a lot of older seniors do this, so it is possible.. As long as they don't work in the US (which won't really be a problem as they will still be canadian residents).
    But what I am wondering is, other than not being able to work is there any thing else they won't be able to do?
    Owning a car, drivers license and insurance? Mail, those kind of things.

9. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I can provide zero information about emigrating, but I'm curious about potential locations.

Mountain View vs. Brentwood vs. Tracy are 3 separate geographical locations in my mind, being East Bay, South Bay and Central Valley. Tracy, while technically close to the Bay Area can be a real hassle to get to and from as the traffic can be gawd-awful. It's not as bad as the height of the economic boom times, but people commuting from Tracy and beyond are often looking at 2-hours+ commutes to get to the Bay Area.

10. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

beats a plane ride ;)

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just something that our Condo treasurer mentioned this morning.

She has a condo in Florida, and has heard stories of houses being sold by "owners" that no long have an interest in their former property.

Many people walked-away from their obligations, when the value of their home fell below their equity. So the mortgage holder took legal possession.

It's a dog's breakfast, is all I was told. Every property must be triple-checked for ownership.

12. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I heard this as well. My brother is trying to buy rental property in Phoenix but it's proving difficult and banks are reluctant to lend to non-US citizens.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Nothing beats a plane ride! :p

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

After seeing more of your situation ... seems like you and your Bro have a better than average chance of living in the US ... Good Luck, nice Parents you got there

cheers

16. barziv27 macrumors newbie

just for fun: do you see "how I met your mother" TV series - robin is also came the us from canada :D