Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
If so please explain how you did it.

Thank you.

The iPad uses a "Mini-SIM" card which I don't think any of the BIG 3 have yet. Soooo.... I don't think the 3G iPad would work YET.

But new things keep coming out everyday. Who knows, maybe someone has released the Mini-SIM card under the radar....

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The iPad uses a "Mini-SIM" card which I don't think any of the BIG 3 have yet. Soooo.... I don't think the 3G iPad would work YET.

But new things keep coming out everyday. Who knows, maybe someone has released the Mini-SIM card under the radar....
The iPad actually uses the micro-SIM, the iPhone uses the mini-SIM; and no, No Canadian GSM provider has announced that they are available, and likely won't until the iPad 3G is available in Canada.

Simply take an activated mini-SIM, cut it down to micro-SIM size, insert it into the iPad, change the APN settings to Phone, from Broadband, enjoy. Many people are doing it with their iPhone's SIM, so they can insert the micro-SIM into the hole in the mini-SIM and put it back in their iPhones later.

More info here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/907927/

TEG

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Simply take an activated mini-SIM, cut it down to micro-SIM size, insert it into the iPad, change the APN settings to Phone, from Broadband, enjoy. Many people are doing it with their iPhone's SIM, so they can insert the micro-SIM into the hole in the mini-SIM and put it back in their iPhones later.

More info here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/907927/

TEG

Ahhh extremely clever!!! Kudos to the guy who first thought of it!

SoundMan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
I'm going to wait to see what

Bell
Rogers
Tellus

Offer for Data Plans

I'm using a Hotspot anywhere you go

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Just removed my Rogers sim card from my usd data 'rocket internet stick' cut it down to size perfectly .... but when I insert the card it shows up "No Sim Card Installed" ... :(

Don't know what else to try, I read here some people had luck with Bell Sim's?

R2K

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
I got my iPad 3G working on Telus. Like other posters have said, all you need to do is cut up your sim and put in the correct apn settings. It did take a bit of time for the iPad to lock onto the network the first time tho..

virtuatony

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I cut my rogers sim from the rocket stick it kept saying no sim so I trimmed the bottom even more, put it back in and then it recognized the signal right away but it kept saying I didn't have a data plan so I had to enter the APN settings:
apn: rogers-core-appl1.apn

Username: Blank

Password: blank

Restarted the ipad and it works great now.

R2K

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2010
I had the "no sim" card displayed on my ipad the first time i tried. I tried again by flipping the sim card from how i originally placed it into the sim tray (so if i pop out the sim tray right now, i only see the back of the sim card, ie: the plastic part)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.