Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockbandfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
How do you find the data usuage?

I am looking to get an iPhone, I am a little leary of having a balanced data plan, would you suggest getting the 1GB or 2GB plan?

Thanks.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
How do you find the data usuage?

I am looking to get an iPhone, I am a little leary of having a balanced data plan, would you suggest getting the 1GB or 2GB plan?

Thanks.

I've had mine since July and have yet to use even 500MB, I surf the web, check emails, Facebook, twitter all day. I have the 6GB plan.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I am through Fido with the 500MB plan and I still haven't used even 200MB. For any average user, you won't get even close to 1GB.

If you're looking to go through Rogers, get the 1GB plan, the iPhone also has a data counter so you can see how much data you have used every month and keep track of it.

CanadianMac2008

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Well, that depends on what you intend to do. If you only want to do the occasional web browsing to say look something up, or check your favorite website occasionally, then 500MB should be fine.

If you're like me though, who uses my phone with the web more than my actual computer, then you should go with 2GB. I have the 6GB (not available anymore) plan and do well over 1 GB. I do regular web browsing, download the occasional app from the App Store, and watch the odd Youtube video. Most people will probably be fine with 500 MB, regular users I would think should have 1 GB and heavy users over 1GB. Keep in mind that if you are going to do streaming Internet Radio, or say upload videos should that be a feature in the New iPhone, your data use will probably spike quickly.

So think of what you want to use it for and base your choice on that. Hope this helps.

Also, don't buy now if you can avoid it. New iPhones should be on the way very soon. Apple's Marketing chief has even said the June period is roughly the time when they do annual upgrades. Plus lots of other things point to an upgraded phone. Wait if you can.

gr3nade

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
i find that the iphone eats up data pretty quickly, however i came from blackberry before, so i am still adjusting.

thank goodness i for wifi!

darkcanuck

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
I have a 500 mb plan on Fido. I surf, email, use a few news apps, Twitter, Facebook, use maps, and do about 10-20 minutes of Skype calling every month with VOIPover3G. I think the highest I've been is 270 mb of usage. My average is around 100 mb. I'd only worry if you plan on lots of tethering, listening to a lot of streaming music, or watch a lot of youtube while not on wifi.

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Rogers needs to enable or create an iPhone friendly app or web page where we can quickly access features like minutes left and sms's left like AT&T allows some of its users?
Don't u think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.