Canberra to Brisbane in 3 minutes and 43 seconds

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sol, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Sol, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

During the recent Christmas break, I drove from Canberra to Brisbane (approximately 1,235 km or 767 mi) and recorded the journey on a dash cam. In Brisbane I bought my brother's quad-core Mac Mini and started teaching myself Final Cut Pro X. This is my first video edited in FCP X and it is also my first in 60 fps, so please choose that setting if you watch it.

SEIZURE WARNING: This video contains fast-moving action.

In short, I am blown away by FCP X and the seamless way it constantly renders in the background. I also love the dynamic Viewer which makes Premiere and FCP 7 look antiquated in comparison. It is still early days for me so there is a lot about the new file structure and interface that I do not understand but the learning curve for this program is not as steep as most people made it out to be.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy watching this video and it inspires you to take a similarly long journey by car.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

4. hpucker99 macrumors newbie

Great video. What web cam did you use and how did you power it on the road?

5. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed watching the video.

The dash cam that I used was a Parkmate Kapture KPT-600 which can record for approximately 3.5 hours on a 32 GB card and is powered and recharged with USB.

6. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Motion is smoother at 60 fps and this video is all about escalation of speed. Given the capabilities of digital cameras, the capacities of modern hard drives, and now YouTube's compatibility, I hope 60 fps becomes the standard way most videos are made.

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Personally I'm a 25fps fan myself!

IMO, the high shutter speed negates the use of 60fps in this instance.

8. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

60 fps is the future. If you make videos in 60 fps, they are more compatible with the televisions and monitors that are out there than 4K videos would be ie. most of the audience has 1080p capable monitors while very few have 4K. I think that films will continue to be made in 24 fps but things like live sports, glorified karaoke and dance competitions, nature documentaries and studio shows would benefit from 60 fps because it is so much more realistic than the old frame-rate standards.

9. Unami macrumors 6502a

really? my old CRT thought it was the past :)

10. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

The thing is, your old CRT (assuming it is NTSC) can display 60 fps but not any HD resolutions.

11. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

So everything should have the over smoothed amatuer look? Not a chance, wont happen.. the film world will not look away from their beginings. People crave a break from reality, thus is why there is a huge draw and fasination with film, and written material for that matter. Personally I dont mind 60 for sports, or maybe some cheesy tv show.. but for the rest 24 looks better.

you are mixing 2 terms, refresh rate and resolutions.. But I digress.. I'll get back to my professional job at editing national broadcast TV and web content, all at 23.98 fps :)

12. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

No, I am not mixing anything. There is a clear difference between 30 fps and 60 fps content on a CRT; anyone who played both Tekken and Toshiden on the original PlayStation knows that difference :) Sure, it's not an Apples to Apples comparison but I am certain that if a game console can render 60 fps at 60 Hz on a CRT screen and look smoother than 30 fps at 60 Hz then 60 fps video played at 60 Hz will also look twice as smooth as 30 fps video at 60 Hz... or should I say 29.97 fps at 60 Hz, since I am talking to someone who gets hung up on technical discrepancies and feels it necessary to bring his "professional job at editing national broadcast TV" into the discussion in an attempt to dominate it? My employer would not appreciate me sharing with you what I do for a living but rest assured, I have these conversations with a lot of co-workers like you at my job.

13. loybond macrumors regular

I think you're referring to the crappy frame interpolation on TVs, or at least thinking of it. For everything other than movies/TV shows, I agree with OP, 60 fps should be the new standard. Motion is just a lot more natural to the eye, irrespective of shutter speed. I've been shooting all my personal videos in 60p since 2011.

14. v3rlon macrumors 6502

No, I do not believe he is confused. Your old CRT can do 60FPS, but it cannot do (or probably cannot do) 1920*1080 resolution. Very few CRTs were/are capable of 1080p. I never even heard of one that could do 4k.

Nothing at all confusing about that. Now working in broadcast TV, you might have one of the vanishingly small numbers of CRTs that COULD, but you are hardly in the majority.

15. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Yeah, if I lived in Canberra, I'd want to leave that quickly :D

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Good job. What is the name of the music?

17. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

If you lived here, you would want to return to Canberra that quickly.

----------

Thank you. The track in the video is Mountains from the Interstellar soundtrack by Hans Zimmer.

18. Eston macrumors newbie

Sol, you're extremely fast! Just be cautious of animals around.

19. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft