Cancel and re-order with education discount??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnluckyXIII, Nov 10, 2016.

1. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

I'm hoping you guys can help advise me on my dilemma.

I placed an order for a new 15" 2016 MBP after the October event at full retail price (£2798) with shipping from ordering expected in 3-4 weeks (unfortunately I was too slow to get the 2-3 weeks :().

Since then I've been offered the opportunity to order my 15" 2016 MBP using a friends education discount as they don't plan on using it this year. The total discount would be for just under £280 but I would have to go to the back of the queue and most likely not receive it before Christmas. (Also there is the question of Apple care and owning a MacBook purchased through someone else's discount (can this even be done or would the MacBook be "registered" to them))??

What do you guys think I should do?
    XIII

2. CodeSpyder macrumors 6502a

CodeSpyder

Your friend's educational discount? Sorry, no help there.

3. Cache macrumors regular

Use it.

4. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

This raises the question, How do apple even check ? Like on apple.nl, you go to their Educational Store, and Select the machine with discounted price (1590 Euro vs 1699 for the baseline 13 inch MBPr w/o touch bar), i was expecting they would ask for an institute email to confirm or something. Nothing ... i made the payment via online banking (iDeal) and my laptop has been shipped ?
    I am still confused as to when they will make sure I am a student :p ?

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Depends if £280 is important to you. It's important to me (as a genuine student) but if you can afford the top end MacBook Pro in the first place then I guess maybe it's not so important for you?

6. keviig macrumors 6502

They won't. I'm a genuine student, and have purchased both Mac's and other things from Apple's online stores for years. I have not been asked to verify it once. So you don't have to worry :)

7. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

I am a student as well btw :p I was just wondering xD

8. UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

In the UK you have be registered with UniDays which require proof that you are enrolled at College/Uni.

Money's not really the issue, the additional discount would just mean I could bump the storage up to 1GB for around the same as my original order....

Maybe it's simpler to leave things as they are...

9. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

They don't check at all. Last time I was in store they were trying to give me the discount, "you're a student right? We can give you a discount...where did you go to school?"

11. UnluckyXIII, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

UnluckyXIII thread starter macrumors 6502

If I was looking to buy a few years ago every penny would count, fortunately over the more recent years my career has taken off and a purchase like this isn't as huge financially. See, that's the thing, I don't really need the discount... am I being greedy in wanting it?

But where do things stand with Apple car and who the MacBook is registered to, as I'm guessing that would be to the persons name that appears on the original receipt and not mine?

12. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Apple uses the honor system, they won't enforce anything against you if the student discount isn't the owner of the machine, but don't ruin it for the rest of us please.