cancel contract and keep iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soni2926, Jul 31, 2008.

1. soni2926 macrumors member

Hi,
    A family member of mine overseas wants an iphone 3g, i'm already an at&t member, and do qualify for the discounted prices on the phone. I was thinking about getting the family plan, so I can get the iphone for myself and him. And then a month later cancel the family plan, keeping just my plan, so i stay with at&t and send him the phone. Just wanted to know will I be able to keep the iphone after cancelling the 2nd line? I know there is a plently of $175 for cancelling that line, but thats ok with him. So in the end I get 2 phone and 1 active line, I asked a person at the at&t store near by she said she's not sure, called customer service and the manager i ended up talking to said yes if i cancel after 30 days i pay a plenty and keep the phone.
    Just wanted to know if anyone tried it and got to keep the phone, and is there a unlock software out yet for the 3g iphone? As he's overseas and will use a different sim card.

Thanks.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Last I checked you cannot unlock the 3G iPhone yet....but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

Otherwise everything else you are saying is correct.

3. Inukami macrumors 6502

Actually you can unlock the 3G IPhone in two ways, both none-free. First is the SimFree software, second is the Sim cutter.

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

5. Inukami macrumors 6502

what's wrong with the sim cutter o.o