Cancel Current iPad Order?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by w00t951, Jun 21, 2010.

  1. w00t951 macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I finally ordered my iPad... But I am wondering whether or not I should cancel this order and wait for the new iPad in a few months. Ideas?
  2. ditzy macrumors 68000


    Sep 28, 2007
    Only you can decide if you want to wait. Some people think that it will be updated in September, others like myself think it won't be updated until March. In short the iPad is either half way through it's cycle or it's only a quarter of the way there. If I was in your position I would buy.
  3. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 20, 2009
    Sevierville, TN
    Why would Apple update a new product:confused:? Won't say it can't happen but its usually 1 year. Since they cannot keep up with the current demand, changing it would cause a huge uproar. It would not be a good business practice. I just did an in-store reservation Friday. It was a total Father's Day surprise from my wife. We went to dinner and she handed me an Apple gift card which covered the price of the iPad:D Spent most of Saturday looking at the over 5,000 iPad apps, oof!

    Remember, if you always wait for something new or the "next" generation, you will never buy anything. Buy it now and have fun:).
  4. master-ceo macrumors 65816


    Sep 7, 2007
    The SUN
    Another attention whorish thread. It don't stop around here. :)
  5. chrono1081 macrumors 604


    Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    There will not be a new one in september. I have no clue where that rumor started. Apple has always released iDevices generally once a year.

    Not to mention it just came out in April or May. I forget which.
  6. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a


    Aug 18, 2008
    Buy it now it's a revolutionary and magical device that will change your life. No really it's nice. I enjoy it and if they release a new one just sell your old one I'm sure someone will be glad to take it off your hands for 200 off retail price.

    Btw I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA :D.
  7. Kendio7 macrumors member

    Jun 3, 2010
    Just be glad you have the money to order one. Just go buy it and enjoy! :D
  8. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Mar 7, 2010
    i wouldnt buy an ipad 2 cause i hear ipad 3 is supposed to magically change everything but then again i hear ipad 4 is the ones we will talk to our grandkids about..
  9. err404 macrumors 68020

    Mar 4, 2007
    The iPad runs great today, with no signs of slow performance. While it's possible that Apple will release a new version in Sept with the 512MB RAM it seams premature. A price cut on the existing hardware in time of the holidays would be more likely. You could wait and see what September brings, but that will probably push you even closer to the iPad 2 release then if you just bought it now. With Apple products I find it best to purchase as close to the release as possible in order maximize the time where you have a top-tier version.

    For the record, I wont be convinced that the iPhone 4 CPU SOC package contains 512MB until I see a proper tear down of a shipping unit. All leaked iPhones have had the same part number as the 256MB A4 in the iPad, with no signs of an off-package bank. Creating a 512MB SOC is a significant leap in fabrication tech and I find it odd that Apple didn't brag about it. Would Apple under-pitch the iPhone 4 tech, for the sake of the iPad? I suspect that iOS 4 is virtualizing the extra RAM against the main flash banks and presenting 512MB to the developer. If this is the case, it's conceivable that the current iPad will receive a free "RAM upgrade" with the new OS this Fall.
  10. shady825 macrumors 68000


    Oct 8, 2008
    Area 51
  11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a


    Jun 10, 2009
    Still got almost a year to go before there's a chance version 2 will be announced/released.

    That's assuming they stick with the iPhone/iPod update model and not something else. It's a new product so we don't know.
  12. err404 macrumors 68020

    Mar 4, 2007
    What we do know is that iOS is tail that wags the dog. You an expect that iOS products will be release in sync with OS updates in order to maximize feature integration. iPhone is the cash cow and therefore gets updated first, followed by the iPods and now iPads. Considering the current sales I would highly doubt that the iPad will be updated in Sept 2010, but it is possible. Unless some strong competition (in terms of sales) crops up, the next likely release window for the iPad is Sept 2011.
    If we see a spring iPad release, I would consider that to be a bad sign. Being the last product line to receive a hardware upgrade to incorporate iOS 4 features would indicate that Apple views iPad as a third tier product, behind iPhone and iPod .
  13. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

    Jul 14, 2009
    Depending on what model you bought...If its not the 499 16gb Wifi, I would cancel it.

    I bought a 32gb 3G model, after tax and SqureTrade warranty ( i dont know WHY anyone wouldnt get a warranty on such a item ) it came close to 900.00

    Every time i visit my local FRYs or BestBuy or any electronics store for that matter, I always looked at the netbooks and just felt like slapping myself for spending so much on something that had such low specs and no options....Seriously think about....

    almost 900.00??? hell a few hundred more and i could get a 13" MBP which is still ultra portable even though i already own a MBP.

    the lower end 499 model is well worth it, but if you spend close t0 700-1.000 for one, your insane...Its way over priced for the specs..

    Once again, My Opinion.....

    and also when Apple releases apps for iPods and iPhones yet no iPad version? that bothers me a bit...

    I am not comparing it to a netbook or laptop but for the price i think it should have a little more under the hood..
  14. nidserz macrumors 6502a


    Mar 28, 2008
    Dubai x Toronto
    Honestly, I don't think an update is near... Only because they are still rolling out international launches across the world.

    Also, the iPad is similar to the iPhone especially when it comes to updates. I think it will be a yearly cycle because somewhat significant changes need to be made every cycle, such as camera, new display, etc. However, the MacBooks can have a 6 month cycle as they just need to change internal processes (unless its a facelift).

    Therefore, I don't see Apple updating in September after launching the iPad in many countries in July, etc.

    I would buy now if you want to enjoy the device.
  15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Feb 5, 2007
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    i totally agree with you ditz:cool:
  16. brentsg macrumors 68040

    Oct 15, 2008
    I have the opposite reaction. Every time I use my netbook that resides on the kitchen counter, I wish the iPad had been released first so I wouldn't have the useless netbook.

    Actually I don't really care, as the wife uses the netbook. But it has definitely lost its place in my home.
  17. skubish macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

    Hey we're selling every ipad we can make so let's update it. Riiiiggghhhhttt.
  18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502


    Apr 24, 2010
    Rock Ridge, California
    To everyone that asks this about waiting for any new tech, if you have to ask, I say WAIT. And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT, And WAIT...

    Please... Wait, let someone else who wants an IPad badly now get one.
  19. micahR macrumors newbie

    Jun 1, 2010
    Urbana, MD
    People seem to be taking crazy pills today. My friend told me to not get a nook for my wife because the iPad was about to drop in price. How is this frickin possible if Apple is selling an iPad every second of everyday? I would up the cost, but I am a horrible person.
  20. cmvsm macrumors 6502a


    Nov 12, 2004
    I'd give it until Sept. before I bought. The new OS on the iPhone is going to spur new apps built for that hardware, RAM and all. This will leave the iPad out, as it's hardware has not been updated to match that of the iPhone, which leaves it and developers in an odd position. I'd say that if Apple wants to get the most out of its app store, it will even up the developing field between the two devices asap.

    With the iPhone and iPad being such similar devices, I doubt that Apple wants this kind of disparity between the two. From a manufacturing standpoint, would be very easy to make the changes mid-stream.

Share This Page