cancel internet recovery mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dkimxd, Aug 10, 2015.

1. dkimxd macrumors member

Is there any way to cancel internet recovery mode? I used it to try to do a clean install of Yosemite on my rMBP (mid 2012) because I'm selling it. I didn't want to have to sign in with my Apple ID to install Yosemite and was told doing the internet recovery mode will reinstall Yosemite without my Apple ID, but it is reinstalling Lion instead... Any time I restart and try to go back to the normal recovery mode to install Yosemite the internet recovery starts instead. Is there any way to cancel the internet recovery mode and go back to the default?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

this means that you no longer have a Yosemite Recovery partition.

Therefore, you will not be able to install Yosemite by using OS X Recovery (you would need to sign in with your Apple ID anyway).

Internet Recovery installs the original OS the Mac shipped with : it can't install Yosemite on a mid-2012 Macbook.
    It installs Lion.

What you can do :

- install Lion via Internet Recovery and let the new owner install Yosemite with HIS Apple ID.
    (this is the "normal" way), or :

- install Lion, then download Yosemite (Apple ID needed), THEN :
    - create a USB stick installer with the Yosemite installer
    - boot the USB stick, erase the internal disk, install Yosemite

That way, the fresh installed Yosemite is NOT tied to your Apple ID.

(You would have to suggest to the buyer to "buy" Yosemite from the app store with his own Apple ID (without installing it) so that he will be able to download it later again, should he need it after Yosemite has been removed from the app store after El Capitan release.)