Cancel my ATT plan on 7/12, what you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nde, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Ok, so Apple deicded to drop the price of the new 3G phone. Tha's good. And ATT decided to require contract to order. Thats bad. Since the phone is discounted, I'm thinking of getting my iphone on 7/11 (assume that I can get one) with a contract. And on 7/12, cough out $175 or $200 and cancel the stupid contract.

2. robhedin macrumors regular

my understanding is that if you purchase it for the subsidized price ($199/$299), cancellation before within the first 30 days requires returning the equipment in order to cancel.

Cancelling after 30 days allows you to keep the equipment, but incur the ETF.

They're really trying to keep you from taking it to another carrier.

rob.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I read the same thing about first 30 days return and later than that you incur an ETF charge.

btw whats ETF?

ChrisN

4. harlemink macrumors member

5. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Not possible. You have to eat at least 30 days of the contract or you have to return the phone. After 30 days, you can cancel and pay the early termination fee and keep the phone free and clear though.

Is it really worth it?

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As others have said, you'll have to return the phone :)

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

IMO, "Is it really worth it?" is the key question.

Assuming you can unlock your iPhone 3G, the only other carrier in the US that you can use it on is T-Mobile, and even then, the iPhone 3G doesn't support the frequency that T-Mobile's 3G network will be on (you'll be stuck with EDGE speeds), so in essence, you will have paid almost $500 for an iPhone that has GPS.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Unless I'm mistaken, anybody and everybody can get the iPhone 3G for $199 by just signing a 2-year contract. You just have to agree to 2 years from the point you sign, not an additional 2 years.