Cancel O2 contract, will iPhone remained activated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by badmanbarry, Feb 3, 2008.

1. badmanbarry macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone the other day and I have it activated with the O2 iPhone tariff. I was wondering if I cancel the contract would the iPhone still remain activated so I could use an O2 simplicity SIM card?

Would there be any limitation this, such as not being able to recieve updates? or would it work just as well?

2. spinstorm macrumors 65816

As long as you don't restore it then it should still work.

But I know when I upgraded to 1.1.3 then it asked to be activated again.

Having said that - if your using an O2 SIM then you can always Jailbreak it - and use it with that - you don't have to unlock it just activate it if it does become deactivated and jailbreaking is how you do that!

3. badmanbarry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats good hear. The problem is that i've updated to 1.1.3 via itunes. But this will enable me to use a normal o2 sim card until 1.1.4 because im sure the brains behind jailbreak will be able to crack it when it is out.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm not exactly sure how you are going to cancel this. Short of O2 providing you an escape by breaching the contract (they haven't done this) there really is no way out. You signed up and agreed to pay them £35 a month for 18 months. Unless you're within the (short) "cooling off period" there isn't an escape.

According to the contract when the contract ends the phone is disabled.