Cancel order and wait in line at Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Knight-, Sep 12, 2014.

1. -Knight- macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I was able to pre-order the Plus 128GB Silver but the delivery is Oct 1-7.

If I cancel the order and wait in line at a Apple store what are the chances they might have enough stock of this size for the 19th??

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Keep the preorder and cancel when you've got one in your hands at the Apple Store.

4. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

Can I keep it and still go and wait in line?? Will they be able to cancel it if I get lucky and get the iphone I want on launch day?

5. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

Best bet if you want to try. Go on launch day. If they have enough when you get to front of line just cancel your pre order.

What time did you try that it slipped? Just wondering

6. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Well they don't charge you're card until they ship, so you could go wait in line, and if you succeed in getting a phone, then cancel you're other order. If not, you're still good because you have one preordered.

7. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I pre-ordered on the app at 3:47am EST.
    I probably should of just went with the 64GB as that had the 9/19 delivery still. oh well, wasn't thinking straight at almost 4am lol.

8. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Can you cancel an order placed through VZW or AT&T as well? Not sure how that works with the contracts, etc.

9. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I think this is what i'm going to do. Now worried about what time I need to be at the store lol. i really don't want to camp out overnight but I think people will be in the day before i bet.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Why the big deal in waiting a bit longer? You've ordered now, so just get on with your life until the parcel arrives at your door. Do you really need all the hassle with queueing with hordes of people who have no lives to 'maybe' get the phone a little earlier?

11. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

you are guaranteed of getting one at the stores as long as you are willing to get in line early enough.. :cool:

12. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I don't know, I don't pre-order with ATT as I had a bad experience years ago and stuck to doing it with Apple since it's less hassle and I think their stores have more stock then the carriers do.

I read people can call and cancel their carrier orders though.

13. Rafterman macrumors 68000

If you aren't already in line, you probably wouldn't get one that day ;)

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you try to play both ends of the game, you may lose out. That is cancel and then walk into a store to buy it. People have reported last year that it took them 24+ hours for their upgrade subsidy to reset (others stated they didn't have to wait as long).

I think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You're good to go with the pre-order, stick with that.

15. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

My advice is to wait it out and try not to dwell on it.

It is true that the stores may receive some stock of the iPhone you want before you get yours in the mail, but there's no guarantee of that. And it may cause problems for you. You may end up waiting on line for who knows how long and discover they have the one you want in stock. But here's the wrinkle, if the one you ordered online has been processed you're out of luck. You'll have to call ATT to sort out your upgrade situation and apply it to the one you want to buy at the store, and for them it frequently takes a while, perhaps days to update the system.

So all in all it could prove to be more trouble than its worth.

16. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Keep the preorder. You don't want to wait and the store not get that many of that configuration and you are stuck without an iPhone 6 til the end of October etc.

17. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

I have no life lol....j/k. I happen to be on vacation next week so I can do the line thing and not worry about missing work. Plus I don't want to 3 weeks :(

----------

Good point. Maybe i'll be able to at least the 64GB if they don't have the 128GB. Thanks.

18. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

Trust me I know how you feel. I want the phone and was ready to give up in 20 min or so. I woke up 10 min early and did not actually get to pre order until around same time as you.

In all honesty I'm thinking the rumors of a plus supple shortage are not to far off. It seems most people that had trouble/ getting late deliveries are ordering the +.

I ordered the 6 and as soon as it let me actually click the continue button(around 3:40) I saw my plan and got confirmation email seconds later. Don't mean to make you feel you shouldn't wait in line just thinking if that's the reason. If the store you plan to go to has a decent amount of people I would suggest trying to be there really early

19. -Knight- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Knight-

That could suck. i'll call the apple store to see if they can tell me how much of that size phone they will have in stock for launch day.

----------

ok thanks. This might be a camp out situation if i really want it on the 19th.

20. rwkleinjr macrumors regular

Anyone else miss out on a 9/19 iPhone Plus delivery and is now going to wait in line?

My Apple Store App showed the iPhone 6 Plus, all options selected (Space Gray/64GB) and displayed "Delivers 9/19"... but the page was missing the "CONTINUE" button and eventually timed out. Shame.

That was my first time trying to pre-order and iPhone and I can't say I'll ever do it again. Who else is now planning on waiting in line next Friday? Hoping I can show up to the AT&T Store 3 hours before they open and be able to get a Space Gray Plus.

21. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

Anyone else cancelling their preorders due to long shipping delay and waiting in line

Anyone with me?!

22. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

23. rwkleinjr macrumors regular

I didn't even bother hitting the "Preorder" button once I saw the delayed shipping times for the Plus models.

I'll be in line next Friday at an AT&T Store.

24. Bazilemac macrumors regular

Im gonna wait it out and see but AT&T sucks and is currently charging me a different price then they said they would actually charge me. I thought you couldn't charge until it shipped? I'm confused

25. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Unless as some of us are paying full price rather than extending a contract. Then it shouldn't be a problem, though honestly I don't expect the stores to have any Pluses that haven't already been spoken for, as the Apple rep on the phone indicated.