Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I placed a pre-order for a black (not JB) 128gb + through Apple, but got a rather late shipping date of Oct 5-Oct 11. This is my first time doing a pre-order, so I want to make sure I do everything correctly. I got lucky and bought a phone on launch day last year.

Im planning on going to a local ATT store on launch day (possibly Apple store Friday night) to see if I can snag the same phone a few weeks early. My question is, am I able to simply show up, find the model I want and cancel the Apple order a few minutes before checking out? I ordered using ATT Next and plan to do the same if I can find one in store, so this mostly pertains to ATT Next availability. My Apple order still shows processing with the ability to cancel, which is not a surprise given my ship date.

Thanks in advance!

Kenneth1101

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
I'm wondering the exact same thing, the only difference being that I originally ordered singing up for the AUP...

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I'm hoping this will be possible, as I'm planning to do the same thing. First year, since 3G that I won't have it on launch day otherwise...

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Usually the Next cancellation is instant, but sometimes at launch and the servers are bogged down its not and could take some time.

Reactions: DravenGSX

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Usually the Next cancellation is instant, but sometimes at launch and the servers are bogged down its not and could take some time.

That was my impression. I actually canceled an ATT pre-order and switched to Apple since the ship time was over a week better with Apple. I ordered through Apple a few minutes later. I wasnt sure if it went as smooth the other way around though.

I wonder if holding the phone (after claiming it in the morning) is possible while the NEXT eligibility updates in the worse case scenario. I had a similar situation when I got my 6 from TMo 2 years ago, although it was their system that was down.

Thank you for the replies!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I just left the Apple Store a few hours ago and told me that it is possible, but to be prepared to spend some time in the store as they don't know how long it will take for the upgrade availability to reset in the system.

128GB JB 7+
10/4-10/10

Reactions: DravenGSX

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Can I just go to the store and buy the phone out right without having to present any carrier information?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Can I just go to the store and buy the phone out right without having to present any carrier information?
You should be able to, but may be carrier dependent. I've been able to buy T-Mobile full price unlocked with no trouble. Put in my AT&T SIM and I was good to go.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I'm on T-mobile and pre-ordered with JOD. Phone arriving between 9/27-10/10. The phone rep i pre-ordered from said if i really need to have the phone on launch day, I could just get one from the store and cancel my order if it hasn't shipped yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.