Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Long story short, I ran into some issues last night with Apple verifying my AT&T account so it took me over an hour to preorder a Jet Black 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus which currently says will be shipped in November. Obviously, I would prefer to get my phone sooner than that. The only option I may have is to wait in line super early to get a phone at the Apple Store next Friday.

If I were to wait in line and get a phone at the Apple Store, can I cancel my preorder with the Apple Upgrade Plan? If so, how do I do it and must I cancel before I wait in line? Or could I wait until after potentially buying the phone at the Apple Store (leaving the preorder as a backup)?

Hoping that all makes sense. My brain is very tired this morning after very little sleep.

Mackneezie

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Winchester, KY
I'm pretty sure you if you get a phone next Friday you can just call Apple sales and have them cancel your other order. I'll be waiting in line for a phone too because the Jet Blacks weren't available for pickup. Hoping to get there super early (not a big city store) and get one. If not, I'll go with the regular black. Good luck!!

Reactions: billchase2

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Thanks for the reply. I feel like this should be the case also, but I want to make sure before continuing with my plan. I may try chatting with Apple to see what they have to say, but their chat is probably flooded today. Good luck getting a phone next week!

Does anyone else know if this would be possible?

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
According to Apple, it is not possible if you've signed up for the upgrade plan:

"It would be an issue with the upgrade plan, you would have to have a different way to pay for the phone in store and you could not apply the upgrade plan used on the online order to the in store order."

So, it looks like my only option is to wait until my preorder ships.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
According to Apple, it is not possible if you've signed up for the upgrade plan:

"It would be an issue with the upgrade plan, you would have to have a different way to pay for the phone in store and you could not apply the upgrade plan used on the online order to the in store order."

Like the poster above me, you can have any number of upgrade plans (subject to credit approval).. I personally have three. Again, don't worry and do what you planned.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Like the poster above me, you can have any number of upgrade plans (subject to credit approval).. I personally have three. Again, don't worry and do what you planned.

Did you have a hard pull on your credit report for each of the three upgrade plans?

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Yes you can have multiple upgrade plans at one time but you may run into a problem because of the phone number associated with your phone. As an example I ordered my phone with the upgrade plan (ATT) and got confirmed with 9/16 delivery. Just for fun I went to see what would happen if I tried to order a second phone...

Apple's system would not let me get past the ATT account page because I already have an outstanding order on that phone number. Apple's site said I couldn't order any new phones on that number until I received my first order and activated the phone. You may have to cancel your current order before going in on Friday to wait in line. Whats the harm anyway since you have a November ship date as is?

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Did you have a hard pull on your credit report for each of the three upgrade plans?

No, in fact I don't have a single "inquiry" on my report from Citizens One. Citizens one doesn't appear anywhere on my report; nothing related to the iPhone Upgrade Program is anywhere on my report.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016

I asked a customer support person on the phone this morning and she said it would be fine to call in and cancel if I find one I want in the store. As long as my order hasn't gone into preparing for shipment, I can cancel it and get one in store. You just can't reserve one online, your only option is to wait in line and physically get one.

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
Yes you can have multiple upgrade plans at one time but you may run into a problem because of the phone number associated with your phone. As an example I ordered my phone with the upgrade plan (ATT) and got confirmed with 9/16 delivery. Just for fun I went to see what would happen if I tried to order a second phone...

Apple's system would not let me get past the ATT account page because I already have an outstanding order on that phone number. Apple's site said I couldn't order any new phones on that number until I received my first order and activated the phone. You may have to cancel your current order before going in on Friday to wait in line. Whats the harm anyway since you have a November ship date as is?

Well then that's weird! I ordered an iPhone 7 from apple.com for my wife and the following day I convinced her to get the iPhone 7 plus because the screen is bigger. I checked online and tried to cancel since it said it was still processing but no luck. I called Apple and I was on hold for 2 hours at which time the status had changed to preparing for shipment. I got tired of waiting and hung up, went back online to Apple's website and pre-ordered an iPhone 7 plus using her number again. I did not have any issue when it checked with AT&T and I was able to buy 2 phones using her number. I'll be returning the iPhone 7 once it gets here on the 16th.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Chatted with Apple again after noticing the Apple Store app said that my model could be ordered for Friday pickup. However, they checked on their end and that's not the case.

I also asked about options for buying at the store on Friday and she said that only one upgrade plan can be tied to a phone account and that the upgrade plans take 24 hours to process a cancellation so I couldn't cancel it from the store on Friday after learning I can buy a phone. Looks like my only options are to preorder a different color with a better shipping date or just wait and see what happens. I'll likely go with the latter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.