Cancel preorder with Apple Upgrade Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billchase2, Sep 9, 2016.

  1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

    billchase2

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Location:
    Ann Arbor
    #1
    Long story short, I ran into some issues last night with Apple verifying my AT&T account so it took me over an hour to preorder a Jet Black 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus which currently says will be shipped in November. Obviously, I would prefer to get my phone sooner than that. The only option I may have is to wait in line super early to get a phone at the Apple Store next Friday.

    If I were to wait in line and get a phone at the Apple Store, can I cancel my preorder with the Apple Upgrade Plan? If so, how do I do it and must I cancel before I wait in line? Or could I wait until after potentially buying the phone at the Apple Store (leaving the preorder as a backup)?

    Hoping that all makes sense. My brain is very tired this morning after very little sleep.
     
  2. Mackneezie macrumors regular

    Mackneezie

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    Location:
    Winchester, KY
    #2
    I'm pretty sure you if you get a phone next Friday you can just call Apple sales and have them cancel your other order. I'll be waiting in line for a phone too because the Jet Blacks weren't available for pickup. Hoping to get there super early (not a big city store) and get one. If not, I'll go with the regular black. Good luck!!
     
  3. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

    billchase2

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Location:
    Ann Arbor
    #3
    Thanks for the reply. I feel like this should be the case also, but I want to make sure before continuing with my plan. I may try chatting with Apple to see what they have to say, but their chat is probably flooded today. Good luck getting a phone next week!

    Does anyone else know if this would be possible?
     
  4. pcmike macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #4
    Yes it will be possible. Continue as planned and don't worry about it. You'll be fine.
     
  5. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

    billchase2

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Location:
    Ann Arbor
    #5
    According to Apple, it is not possible if you've signed up for the upgrade plan:

    "It would be an issue with the upgrade plan, you would have to have a different way to pay for the phone in store and you could not apply the upgrade plan used on the online order to the in store order."

    So, it looks like my only option is to wait until my preorder ships.
     
  6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

    Lobwedgephil

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2012
    #6
    You can have two upgrade plans, so just do a new one, and then cancel the one from preorder.
     
  7. pcmike macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #7
    Like the poster above me, you can have any number of upgrade plans (subject to credit approval).. I personally have three. Again, don't worry and do what you planned.
     
  8. justinf77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 18, 2003
    #8
    Did you have a hard pull on your credit report for each of the three upgrade plans?
     
  9. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

    spoa94

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Location:
    New Orleans, LA
    #9
    Yes you can have multiple upgrade plans at one time but you may run into a problem because of the phone number associated with your phone. As an example I ordered my phone with the upgrade plan (ATT) and got confirmed with 9/16 delivery. Just for fun I went to see what would happen if I tried to order a second phone...

    Apple's system would not let me get past the ATT account page because I already have an outstanding order on that phone number. Apple's site said I couldn't order any new phones on that number until I received my first order and activated the phone. You may have to cancel your current order before going in on Friday to wait in line. Whats the harm anyway since you have a November ship date as is?
     
  10. pcmike macrumors 6502

    pcmike

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2007
    Location:
    Lake Worth, FL
    #10
    No, in fact I don't have a single "inquiry" on my report from Citizens One. Citizens one doesn't appear anywhere on my report; nothing related to the iPhone Upgrade Program is anywhere on my report.
     
  11. kougra6541 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2016
    #11
    I asked a customer support person on the phone this morning and she said it would be fine to call in and cancel if I find one I want in the store. As long as my order hasn't gone into preparing for shipment, I can cancel it and get one in store. You just can't reserve one online, your only option is to wait in line and physically get one.
     
  12. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2007
    #12

    Well then that's weird! I ordered an iPhone 7 from apple.com for my wife and the following day I convinced her to get the iPhone 7 plus because the screen is bigger. I checked online and tried to cancel since it said it was still processing but no luck. I called Apple and I was on hold for 2 hours at which time the status had changed to preparing for shipment. I got tired of waiting and hung up, went back online to Apple's website and pre-ordered an iPhone 7 plus using her number again. I did not have any issue when it checked with AT&T and I was able to buy 2 phones using her number. I'll be returning the iPhone 7 once it gets here on the 16th.
     
  13. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

    billchase2

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2006
    Location:
    Ann Arbor
    #13
    Chatted with Apple again after noticing the Apple Store app said that my model could be ordered for Friday pickup. However, they checked on their end and that's not the case.

    I also asked about options for buying at the store on Friday and she said that only one upgrade plan can be tied to a phone account and that the upgrade plans take 24 hours to process a cancellation so I couldn't cancel it from the store on Friday after learning I can buy a phone. Looks like my only options are to preorder a different color with a better shipping date or just wait and see what happens. I'll likely go with the latter.
     

Share This Page