Cancel/Return DF at AT&T after arrival

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peekb, Jul 24, 2008.

1. peekb macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried to cancel/return a DF once it has arrived at the store?

I ordered an iPhone on launch day, and was able to buy one at the Apple store the following Thursday. I called to cancel my DF at the AT&T store that evening and the person on the phone couldn't figure out how to do it and told me to come to the store the next day.

I went in on Friday afternoon and was told the phone had been shipped that very morning and they couldn't cancel it. Not only that, but once it arrived, I could only return it with a 10% restocking fee attached, even though the back of the receipt clearly states "10% open box restocking fee" and obviously, the box wouldn't be opened. The store manager also stated I could just take the phone. When I questioned him on me taking the phone out of the store without activation, he said it wouldn't be a problem.

The phone arrived Monday. Cut to today, Thursday, when I go to pick it up. The manager wasn't at the store and the sales associated once again gave me the line of 10% restocking fee even though I pointed out the obvious. And he wouldn't let me take the phone home exactly as I predicted even though the manager said it would be fine.

So I have to go back a 3rd time tomorrow to see the manager who will likely be as unhelpful as he has been so far.

I go back to the question...anyone try to cancel/return a DF iPhone after it arrived? How did it work out for you?

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. They tried to charge me a restocking fee. Fortunately the manager was working at the store and they simply refunded me the money by having me swiping my credit card and that's it.....but I really wanted the second iPhone and even offered to pay $499 for it but they would not let me since I had just activated my black 16gb iphone earlier that day at another att store.