Cancel RMBP order or resell for more $$$?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesesesesess, Jul 20, 2012.

  1. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    #1
    I ordered a 2.3/16/256 RMBP earlier this month with the student discount + Discover 5% cash back through the Apple Store. All in all, I'm paying about $2,200 plus I got the $100 iTunes card that I can sell to someone for $85. I got a 2.3/16/256 model through a reseller though and have that now. I still haven't cancelled my order from Apple, and am kinda stuck as to what I should do. Should I just cancel it and be done with it (I don't know if they'll take back the gift card though?), or should I resell it for at least $2,400 and maybe make even more extra because they're so hard to find? I'm not supposed to receive it until early August.

    I would just put it on eBay, but the fees would barely make it worth the trouble as I wouldn't even get much profit. I don't know how much success I would get by putting it on Amazon. Any other sites I could sell it on with no/little fees? I could put it on Craigslist I suppose.
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    You're not going to sell it for more than the retail price on Craigslist or Amazon. They're not scarce enough to actually drive up the price.
     
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

    MacDawg

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    "Between the Hedges"
    #3
    My understanding is if you cancel you will not get to keep the gift card
     
  4. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2008
    #4
    i think they bill you for the price of the gift card and discount it out of the laptop when it ships. you've paid for that gift card.
     
  5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

    M5RahuL

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2009
    Location:
    Colorado
    #5
    If you cancel your order, there are three options for the gift card:

    1) you can keep it, but your refund is $100 less.
    2) You mail it back to Apple and process the return from Apple.com/orderstatus
    3) You contact Apple and they cancel [ invalidate ] it over the phone and iTunes will send you an confirmation email. You can simply trash the card.

    Finally, depending on when you receive it, I may be interested in buying if off of you along with the GC and no markup!!

    Let me know :)
     
  6. gentlefury macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #6
    With a 4 week wait, I would tend to disagree on that statement.
     
  7. jcpb macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    #7
    There are already people returning their perfectly functional MBPRs due to various software issues (nothing wrong with them hardware-wise). As a result, 4 week waiting times notwithstanding, it's very difficult for OP to resell his brand new MBPR at full retail prices.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401261
     
  8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #8
    What does that thread have to do with 4 week delays on BTO. Someone that doesn't want to wait 4 weeks to get a BTO 16GB rMBP will pay over retail to get it.
     
  9. jcpb macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2012
    #9
    Not buying, but selling.
     
  10. dsciel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2011
    #10
    I would suggest you to sell it, because returning cause hassles ... Btw. May I ask which discover card you have that has 5% cash back on apple purchases?
     
  11. friendchet macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    #11
    if you go through shopdiscover.com link, it gives you 5% cashback on purchases done on apple store.there are some exclusions like gift cards etc...
     
  12. swamyg1, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

    swamyg1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2007
    #12
    Apple will not charge you for the flight card, but they will deactivate it before it reaches you do you won't even have a chance to use it. Happened to me when I bought and cancelled my MBA.
     

Share This Page