Canceled BTO 2016 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mathias Denichi, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

It's a sad day, but I canceled my 2.6/1TB/460 15" tMBP. With the same UI lag I'm seeing others experience that I experienced on my launch day 2012 rMBP, poor battery life, graphical glitches, I feel like my best option is to wait for a refresh. I feel the touchbar is a bit useless and will need a few years to mature, but I dont want to drop $3k+ for that.

Until then, I will have to make due with my iPad Pro and photoshopping at home or learning to fully cope with Pixelmator on the iPad Pro.

From owning the 13in tMBP briefly, its a very well made device, and I hope the best for the people who got it. Ill be here waiting for a refresh with a hopeful battery fix!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Classic case of taking the ******** on the internet seriously most people love these machines and have no issues at all...

3. Low country macrumors 6502

Hi
    I did the same and cancelled my 15" BTO, but I just bought the 13" TB maxed out with the 3.3/16GB/512 and except for weird scrolling lag all seems ok. Did the 13 not work out for you?

PS: Will update when I know more about the lag on my 13"
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    Uh....unless you have the metrics to prove that most people "love" them the forums, blogs, tech reviews, designers, developers, and photographers seemingly do not "love" them.

There are a LOT of people having issues with them, so don't get all pissy with those of us that have issues and those of you that don't just cannot understand for the life of you how we could have any issues....TRUST ME...the issues are real!

4. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

The only reason I returned the 13in was because it was too close to my iPad Pro. Yes, it's a way different and more powerful tool, but I would like the larger 15in screen. Also, as I thought of it more, the 15in screen is a sector where I feel apple is unchallenged by other laptop makers, whereas the 13in has plenty of viable competitors currently.

I loved the iris 550 in the 13in MBP.

5. radus macrumors 6502

There is no UI-lag on my new 15" maxed out wether using MacOS X nor using Windows 10.

6. jackoatmon, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

hahaha omg, as samuelsan2001 says, don't believe everything you read online

if there were actual problems in real life with these machines, it would be all over the front pages of Ars and The Verge and Macworld.

this board has a huge population of whiners who never try the machine themselves and turbo-amplify any single odd occurrence anywhere they find

rest assured that the vast majority of people are not experiencing problems, otherwise it would be a huge to-do in the tech media

for instance: did you test the machine before posting this claim of UI lag and poor battery life?

or did you invent those things in your imagination after seeing someone complain about it somewhere else?

7. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Im still on the edge on what to do with my 15". Went out of state for the first time with the 15" and its pretty cumbersome.

8. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

I would've suggested getting your hands on it, and then return it if it doesn't work out for you. Frankly like everyone else said in this thread, I wouldn't trust everything I read online.

9. Mathias Denichi, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

No but my 13in tMBP wasn't all too impressive with battery after having it a week. I figured the 15in wouldn't be much better with a dGPU, and turning it off would leave the 530 to power the whole thing. If Apple had a 580 iris pro or an nVidia dGPU model I'd be all over it. Since they haven't, I will most likely have to wait for a June/July refresh.

I don't want to go through the same nonsense I went through my first gen 2012 rMBP redesign. I wished I waited for the refresh then too.

10. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

11. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Keyword, even in the title: Unscientific.

If you weren't having issues do you think you'd be going online to specifically look for people having issues? No, you'd likely never even see this poll. Big non-response bias going on.

12. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

Any issues at all is not worth $3k to me. I'll wait.

13. Low country macrumors 6502

Smart move.

14. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Even without the issues it'd be smart to wait if you don't need a new machine right now. The advantages include:

1) Possible price decrease in price
    2) Kaby Lake may support 32GB LPDDR4, run cooler (more power efficient)
    3) Less uncertainty with compatibility and better selection of TB3/USB-C accessories
    4) Initial issues resolved (graphic glitches, trackpad 3-finger drag, screen sealing, perhaps some software fixes for iGPU IU performance etc.)
    5) Better experience with refined touchbar support by most apps
    6) Perhaps some improvement regarding keyboard noise

I'm sure there're others as well. The same as with each major hardware release!

15. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

16. Jaekae macrumors 6502

Why cancel if you have a 14 day return window and 1 year warranty included, after thay year its possible to get applecare extra warranty if still svared of issues, try it and see if you have some issues, mine works perfectly and i get 8-9 hours battery. Also switched from rmbp 2012, and its a huge upgrade :)

17. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Mine works great. I haven't been hanging around the forums complaining because I have no reason to. I even have the 460 and no graphics issues, though I'm keeping both an eye out for them on my machine AND watching to see what comes of others' problems.

Sure, this is unscientific too, but it seems someone cheated themselves out of a good machine because they spent too much time in the negativity chamber.

Alright, back to the real world. See you guys later and please play nice.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

So who does own the stats on the internet? Seems many people are the voice of the majority.... and yet they contradict each other....

I'll join, most people cannot afford the new machines... ;)

At the end of the day , it's your money. If you own one and love it, fantastic, if you decided against it, fantastic ...... neither opinion is "MORE" correct. The biggest issue in MR is that you must belong to the hate or love faction when it comes to an Apple product....so cute but talk about delusional perception of reality.

My 2016 , some aspects I love, some I hate....in the wash up.... it's a lovely but expansive machine
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    You actually have until the 8th of January to try a machine.

19. Mathias Denichi, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

I've actually had the 13 tMBP 2.9/512/8gb and the 15" 2.6/512/455 Radeon Machines. I was just waiting for my BTO 16/1tb/460 Machine. At the end of the day, I find that id only need a 1tb SDD on a Macbook Pro for Bootcamp. After various tests of the 455, of which didn't impress me, I don't feel I'd need the 460, with all its problems and tepid performace vs a GTX965m, as well as the shorter 5-6 hour battery life I was getting with a reinstall for around $3000 with tax.

I feel the best option right now, for all laptops, is to wait if you don't need one. Its a very transitional phase in tech for both the Surface and MacBook line and for now I will wait. I'll get by with my iPad Pro and use remote desktop to my 6700k 4.0GHZ/ SLI 980ti/ 32GB ram 5TB Windows Rig, if I need to do work.

20. xsdeus macrumors regular

I hope more people cancel their BTO orders. That way, my order can move up a bit ;)

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Honestly, aside from the price which I am not happy about one bit - this is the best Apple laptop I've owned.

22. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Mine is just fine. No problems at all.

23. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

I cancelled my 13 2.9 1 TB 16 GB, as well.
    I went for a macbook 12" M5 which I got for 1.000 bucks instead (lucky punch, I know).

The idea was to replace my macmini i7 2.7 1 TB 16 GB and my acer laptop with one single machine. By replacing just the laptop with a mac I will live a bit longer with two machines instead of one, but at least no pain anymore for the switch windows/MacOS.

This saves me 2.000 bucks which I most likely invest in the refresh of these machines end of next year... that will probably be my last mac.

I have respect for all early adopters, but I use my computers for work and I need something reliable.

24. Mathias Denichi thread starter macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

The macbook 12" is a great computer. I recently just sold my m7/512 RG one. I don't regret that I did, just didn't have enough punch when it came to editing a 100+ page magazine in InDesign or editing larger photos in photoshop. All around, great device though.