Canceled my order after waiting nearly 3 months

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsamacthing, Jan 31, 2017.

1. itsamacthing, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Placed my order back in mid Dec for a maxed out 15 inch MBP, it is still processing... Just contacted my corporate rep and told him I'm done.

Cleary this was not meant to be as I didn't feel good buying it in the first place given all the mixed reviews and issues (Video, Battery) people have had.

Going to bring my maxed 27 2012 iMac home from the office and see if I can live with that. Doing a lot of light work from my iPad Pro these days and Lightroom. Although the iPad does not take the place of a desktop where my catalog and storage is.

If the iMac is not cutting it and I want something portable around the house, going to get the new XPS 15 inch and wait and see what comes out of Apple later this year. Maybe Kaby Lake with 32GB, Refined TB, and better battery life? Or maybe enjoy the XPS, who knows... Apple pushing me (and others) to try something else, just like they did with my phone and I'm totally enjoying Android and can still use my 3.5 jack at the gym.

Never had good luck with first gen stuff from Apple anyway.. I should have known better.

Stuck with all these dongles now...guess i will list them for sale if anyone is interested. I also got this dock from KickStarter.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Always listen to your gut - if you dont feel comfortable getting something - especially as expensive as the MBP, then hold off

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

Going by benchmarks - ie. "perfect" scenarios - the MacBook you ordered would only provide 10% - okay, 11.5% - performance bump over your iMac anyway. You're swapping desktop-class for mobile-class, there's a big difference.

The MacBook Pro is not an iMac replacement. It's a powerful laptop - a completely different category for people who need portability. If you don't need portability, an iMac offers better performance and value every time.

As for the XPS, it's not a relevant alternative for the simple reason it doesn't run macOS. If you are a Windows user, however, I'm not sure why you'd ever buy a Mac - you can get/build far more powerful machines for a lot less $$$. That's always been the case.

4. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

I remember my first gen Intel MBP... major fan issues. Wound up with a replacement of the next gen eventually

5. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the comments =)

I prefer a portable at home.. the iMac is powerful (i7, 32GB, Flash) and I have loads of thunderbolt storage so it's easy but i'm stuck at the desk and I prefer to be someplace else at home (bed, sofa, deck). That is what I meant by "live with it"

I have had 3 MacBook Pro's so I'm aware of what they are and their capabilities/limitations

I'm not closed minded or limited in my abilities, I am proficient with many OS's (W8.1 & 10, Android, Linux, WS2012R2, iOS, MacOS). I enjoy and seem to be natural at getting the most out of all of them.. and all my services work fine across the desktop versions of all of them i.e.: Exchange, iCloud, IMAP, Google Services, Dropbox, 1Password, Lightroom, Photoshop, Chrome, and so on.

Sure, I prefer to use MacOS..but a lot of things I originally preferred are no longer offered (like updates that don't require reboots) and I don't really hang out in the OS, I hang out in Apps that are cross platform as mentioned above. Windows is just as stable as MacOS these days .. I reboot my windows servers and Hyper-V hosts 3 times a year for maintenance.

I don't have time to build my own PCs or Hackintosh's any longer.. running a company, need things that work so to speak

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Your gut has been misled. Even the early reviews of the 15" showed good battery life, much better than the XPS 9550, and probably still better than the 9560, but the ever confused internet buzz has been misleading people about it due to problems with the 13" with touch bar.

The video issues were taken care of in early days via software updates.

Better get it before the reviews come out, or your gut will likely change your mind again. The Dell forums are hopping mad already about various issues.

The new ports are a good investment, far more capable and flexible than the older ports, even if you may have to buy a tiny adapter or new cable for now.

By the way, whom did your order an MBP from that has taken three months to not produce it?

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

First gen talk nowadays is skewed a bit. To me first gen is the original iPad. The tech in the new MBP isn't new enough to be a full-out first gen product. They redesigned the case and removed some ports. A first gen case isn't a big deal to me. Laptop has been flawless. With that said, in the OP's position I would stick with the iMac for performance and buy a new desktop class computer when they are announced.

8. getbretweir, Jan 31, 2017

getbretweir macrumors member

No they're not ...

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop?~ck=mn

That said, the first 15-20 or so most recent reviews seem shady. I've tried the XPS ... never again with Dell. Waiting for 2/10 for my MBP.

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I'm talking about forum discussions, such as here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/

Complaints have been loud about the half-speed TB3 port, the delays in shipping with the fingerprint recognition, ghosting, heat, fans, etc. Most of it's ordinary stuff you can expect with every new release, some isn't. It's not a good idea to rely on internet buzz is my larger point.

10. Eduardboon macrumors regular

What was the estimated shipping date for your machine? It seems weird that you had to wait this long while others can get a maxed out Mac in just a few weeks..

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Given the new MBP, I would consider an iMac in the future when I need a computer. I have a late 2013 rMBP 2.6/8/256 and I love it bc I can use it as a desktop by hooking it up to my Dell external monitor.

I use both USB port, and SD card slot, the HDMI, and enjoy the convenience of MagSafe.

It's really a great laptop.

But if I have to start using dongles and what not, I might just go with an iMac in the future.

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Checking the specs, it appears the iMac is larger and harder to carry around than most adapters and replacement cables.

13. Eduardboon macrumors regular

Didn't bother the people working on their iMac's at Starbucks last time I checked.

14. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to try to directly compare the XPS and MBP, but they do compete with each other on a certain level even though I think their precision line is more professional...while the XPS is more for gaming. Shame the new 15 inch precision comes with a Maxwell GPU and not Pascal like the XPS.

A great majority of the reviews, and more than I have ever seen in the past, are neutral to negative on the new MBP. Haven't really seen anyone super excited about it

I ordered it from Apple and I made a mistake, I ordered it in mid Dec.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2017 ---
    I have a feeling the battery in the new MBP isn't exactly what they had originally planned... and we will see something very different in the next one.
    I will be in New Zealand during the time the MBP arrives. When I return in March, I have trips planned till August. I had hoped to get it in Dec, have Jan and Feb to get it organized and test it... by the time i'm ready, the new ones will be out and I have enough Macs and other around me to make it till then. Would prefer the 32GB anyway since I know I will use it for 5 years or more.

Attached Files:

15. getbretweir macrumors member

I completely agree about the internet buzz ... it's an insignificant sample size that makes a lot of noise. Take this year's MBP ... Is it perfect? Of course not. But it's still an amazing machine for 99% of Apple's target market. If you only had sites like Reddit to judge it, you'd think it's the worst laptop ever.

I think a large majority of people that switch to an XPS/Surface/etc will be disappointed. The sum is greater than the parts with Apple (like how standby on an iPhone destroys Doze on my 6p, despite the larger battery and better specs).

16. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is no such a thing, now that I have had time to consider things, as switch in my life... but I'm going to diversify where I preferred Apple in my personal life for nearly 20 years. Maybe for Adobe apps, Wintel is better due to the fact that the apps are identical across platforms and they are hardware accelerated... benefiting from NVIDIA Pascal more than Polaris for example. Thoughts?

17. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I read a lot of reviews of the 15", more than a dozen, and found numerous very positive ones. It did especially well where objective measurements were included along with subjective impressions. I don't recall seeing full reviews that were neutral or negative on the whole, but maybe I've forgotten, as I focused more on the ones with hard numbers. There were plenty of negative blog articles or the like, obsessing on some particular point such as ports or RAM, but those were inherently unbalanced.

I still think you've been misled in your impressions by the loudest voices, not the most informed ones. That's how the internet tends to work.

Yeah, for some things Windows is certainly advantageous. It's just a matter of comparing for the particular applications you use.

18. raqball, Jan 31, 2017

raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

I just sold my 2016 nonTB MacBook Pro and ordered a Surface Book.. MS has a killer sale going on right now where it's $200 off and you get free Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless Headphones. I also had a $100 MS gift card that I used.. I paid for overnight shipping ($16) and it will all be here tomorrow..

I think I am moving away from Apple now. I need to check into selling my iPhone SE and getting a Google Pixel and on selling my Apple Watch.. I already have and use a Garmin fenix so I won't need a replacement for it.. I already have a Roku and will sell my Apple TV as well...

My main issue is going to be the ton of Mac programs and phone apps I own that will need to be repurchased but once it's done, it's done and I won't be locked into Apple's eco system anymore...

Guess I am Apple'd out and it's time to move on...

19. getbretweir macrumors member

Better hardware on paper, but in my own personal experience, the overall package MBP offers is superior.

I don't know a single person (maybe I need more friends) that requiress 32GB.

Case in point, my son's Mom, my sister, and best friend all have a MBP. I'd bet neither of them know what SSD means, what a graphic card is, or need any port other than one that charges their laptop.

That's Apple's customer, and that's why they did almost $80 billion last quarter. Should they offer a computer for the 1% of people that need something stronger? Yeah ... I guess. But a lot of people obsess over specs they don't even need, and for the ones that do switch platforms, I think a good majority of them will be disappointed.

20. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no doubt that for a great majority of people, the latest MBP will be fantastic. And for me, coming from a 2008 MBP..this was going to be a big upgrade for me. I really miss having a MBP... it was always my fav computer to own and use.

There are mixed reviews.. I was not looking for any review in particular, but across various reviews from CNET to individuals the consensus was love and neutral. I think the ports are great, but magsafe and SD card removal were insulting IMO. Of course, the KL version will be better...they always are and as much as I tried, waiting months for my order was too long especially with my travel schedule starting now. Makes more sense to wait and see.

Getting an XPS will be fun, and I will have plenty of use for it even if I buy the next MBP in 12 months or whenever it comes out. And I will probably most likely buy it...
    You should try the Mate 9, I love it... great great phone, amazing camera.
    I will use the 32GB with 60 open tabs, Adobe Apps running, Office Apps running, and sometimes VMWARE... it will also be more future proof.
    But agree, most people dont need the specs they buy

21. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Indeed, I got my mac ~6 weeks ago, and past week, a relative just walked into a store and got himself a new one. Supply is still constrained, but not that much.

22. psun786 macrumors member

I switched from QHD XPS 15 9550 (2.6ghz, 32GB, 1TB) to 15" MacBook Pro 2016 (2.9ghz, 16GB, 1TB, 460). My major problem with 9550 is the battery life. With my hardware configuration, I am only getting 3~4 hours. You can probably get 5-6 hours for FHD, 8GB. 256GB SSD. With MacBook Pro, I am getting 8 hours (excel, Photoshop, YouTube and web)

23. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am usually near a power outlet, and still have my 2016 MacBook for long hauls on the sofa and the road.

I get my iMac back from Apple service sometime this week, looking forward to getting settled into something since been in limbo for too long now

24. raqball, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Thanks, I'll look into it. My Surface Book was delivered a little bit ago, will get it all setup later and play with it.

I did order a Google Pixel and it's suppose to be here tomorrow. My nonTB MacBook will be handed off to its new owner later tonight.

I figure I am going to spend about $600-$700 getting similar programs and apps for the new machine and phone. Once done, it's done though and will give me complete freedom of choice going forward.

Might also have a buyer for my SE and AW as well... Taking it in the shorts on selling all the gear so apparently the new Apple stuff no longer holds value like they use to..

25. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Yeah but it's less stuff to carry