Canceled, then Ordered Refurb 15" 2.5Ghz 512vram MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jTreu, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jTreu macrumors 6502

So, I've been waiting patiently for 4 months to order the new MBP, ordered the base model right after the keynote and just canceled. I realized I can't justify $400 more for the base MBP than the top of the line previous gen just for aesthetics. The dual gfx cards is cool but you have to log out to swtich, and the battery life isnt better at all. Do you guys think theres a major difference between the new 256 9600 and the 512 8600 GT? Anyway, I think I'll be more than happy with what I ordered. Anyone else order the refurb after being underwhelmed by today?

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

I owned one of the Merom Santa Rosa Macbook Pros for awhile and a friend of mine owns one from the February refresh. You're going to love it no matter what as the Macbook Pros are just great.

The February refresh did seem to help some with the heat issues as his runs a lot cooler than mine did when compiling new code.

We haven't actually received any of the new ones yet, but the changes seem to be mostly evolutionary rather than revolutionary so take what you read with a grain of salt.

3. martinmartin macrumors 6502

i think unless youre into the aesthetics and the new trackpad, the new model doesnt really justify the price increase. refurbs are usually as good as new and the performance difference (aside from video, apparently) doesnt seem to be that significant.

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

dammit... u just talked about me
    im huge on aesthetics.. and unfortunately, im getting the new mbp

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your refurb (AKA repackaged new) won't disappoint! Congrats!

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

My first was a refurbished MBP

My first MBP was refurbished and it was perfect. Looked brand spanking new. I found I didn't need all the "pro" stuff so gave it to my son, the DJ. He moved up from his 12" G4 and the MBP and he can't stop talking about what an awesome machine it is. His G4 still works but doesn't have the power for some of his programs.

Today, I ordered one of the new Macbooks and will pass my Blackbook on to my husband. It will be hard letting go ... tear, sniff, sniff.

7. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

wow a wife doing all of this..
    pretty tight

8. martinmartin macrumors 6502

yeah, im in the same boat...trying to figure out the best way to sell my current MBP so i can get the new one (with the same specs basically).

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Good choice. I think these will be harder to come by. I think it will be really divided. People who like the new one will get it and people who don't will hold off as much as possible.

I plan on getting a refurb 15" soon to replace this one.

10. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

What?

Do you mean that as a "wife" you are surprised that I understand and appreciate the techno stuff? I am the household "techno-geek-keeper-maintainer-of everything electronic". I do the wiring, made sure my hubby had a TV in every room and all linked to the computers, DVRs and DVD players. Our local stereo store has dubbed me "best wife". I probably need to find a 12 step program for this or something. I'm sure it's an addiction. Or do you mean WOW you're surprised that I was being generous by giving him my beloved Blackbook?? Unspoken rule: I research it, I connect it, I get the new stuff!

11. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea, dont think it was so much underwhelmed as it was just not impressed. some interesting stuff, but nothing amazing. prob doesn't help that so much of it was leaked and everything was anticlimatic