Canceling Credit Cards of Deceased

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, May 8, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Is it as simple as calling the number on the back of the card -- even if you DO NOT have the account number?

Any banks or issuers that are troublesome would be appreciated.

2. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Yes, but I think you have to be the 'Next of Kin' (a person's closest living blood relative) and be able to prove it.

(sorry for your loss, btw)

3. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

When my Mom died, I had to give Wells Fargo a copy of the death certificate. Once they got that, the card was cancelled and so was the balance owed.

4. MacVixen macrumors 6502

SpaceKitty is correct. You will need to provide a copy of the death certificate to the credit card company. And you will likely need to be the official Executor of the will.

Depending on the company though, I don't believe that death automatically cancels the debt. The credit card company would likely petition the estate for payment of any outstanding balance. When my grandma died last year no monies could be paid out to family members until all outstanding debts were paid.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm sorry to hear of your loss too, pimentoLoaf. Any remaining balance may be covered under a life insurance policy the owner added on the account. It would be helpful to have a copy of a previous statement to see if there are any such monthly coverage payments withdrawn.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Correct. Provide a copy of the death certificate and the estate has to pay off the balance.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's right. I was just lucky with my Mother. Wells Fargo was very nice and they had no problem with dismissing the debt. This was the only debt that my mom had so it was very easy.

Oops posted under my friends name, sorry