Canceling iPhone activated with Prepaid Go Phone

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I want to cancel my Go Phone prepaid plan. I activated my iPhone using the 999-99-9999 trick for the social security number. Following one of those tutorials too closely, I put in "John Doe" for my name. :D I activated my iPhone this way to use my iPhone as an iPod.

I want to know how the cancellation process goes. The online account details says my cancel date is February 7th, 2008. I assume there's a way for me to call AT&T to tell them to cancel my account now and not pay for more service.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Just call them up and tell them you want to cancel, shouldn't be a problem or you could go in and remove your payment method from your account.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Bah. Didn't realize today was the day the auto-refill was going to charge me for another month of service. :( I don't think either representative understood that I chose the name John Doe...

Apparently, the Prepaid plan always has auto-refill. So, if you don't like auto-refill, you have to call them early and tell them to shut it off.

I don't have to pull out my SIM card, do I? I remember reading somewhere the iPhone deactivates after canceling service. I just don't remember if that's true or not.

Well, I have another month of service to use up before I use my iPhone solely as an iPod. Although EDGE sucks, I gotta say having the Internet without being connected to a WiFi router is pretty handy.