Canceling iPhone Data Plan??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Burton8219, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

I am thinking of taking advantage of this shortage and selling my phone for the 2x profit they are going for on ebay... I am staying on AT&T and am wondering if they will make a big deal if I cancel my iPhone data plan. I know I signed a new contract, but I'm pretty sure those are just so you stay with AT&T. Any input on this??

2. oclor macrumors regular

I don't think you can cancel the data plan. What you would have to do is probably tell them that you lost your iPhone or it was stolen or you threw it out of a car or something haha.Then you tell them you're just gonna go with a regular phone and they should give you a different plan...

3. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The iPhone 3G plan is needed for the iPhone 3G. You'll spend about $10 a minute easy without a data plan (since there's no way to disable data all together), which you can't do on the iPhone 3G, anyway.

4. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Did you even read the original post? He/She wants to sell the iPhone, not cancel the plan and still use it.

OP -- they may make you pay a $175 early termination fee, but you can more than easily recoup that too with the price of the phone.

5. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why would they make me pay an ETF if I am keeping my voice plan?? It's not like I'm jumping ship to a different carrier...

6. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried this yet?? Particularly someone who sold their iPhone 3G on eBay recently...

7. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

You CAN actually take off the data plan off the 3G iPhone, you just have to call AT&T and persuade them to cancel it. Make sure you ask for a WIX block though since that will block any means of getting access to the internet once data is off. If you don't you'll be paying a whopping 7 cents per kb.

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I don't understand why people keep posting when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. There's no "iPhone 3g plan" there's voice + data, the same as every other smart phone. What the above poster said appears to be correct. If you are able to cancel the data plan, you need a WIX block to protect against per/k charges.

9. ec51 macrumors 6502

Just call ATT CS and explain that you returned the phone and the store forgot to remove the data....

All you really have to do is say that you no longer have the phone, it's no business of theirs as to what happened to it.

YOU SIGNED A CONTRACT TO EXTEND YOUR SERVICE CONTRACT FOR ANOTHER TWO YEARS, YOU DID NOT SIGN A CONTRACT TO USE THE iPHONE 3G FOR TWO YEARS, when will people understand this....

10. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Why do people keep saying this. You don't need a Wix block. I've canceled my data plan with the 2G and didn't need a Wix block, neither has anyone else who has caceled. You just can't use any features that require Internet.

11. Algalli macrumors member

IPhone data plan

The AT&T Service agreement as I find it online says

Data Plans: An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the U.S. and does not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. © 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property. Subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. provide products and services under the AT&T brand. © 2008 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPod, iTunes, and Mac are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone, Multi-Touch and Safari are trademarks of Apple Inc.

I don't know what is in the service agreement one actually signs

12. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Yes it still is possible too. Canceling the data plan doesn't mean you can't get data, it means that you won't have to pay $30 a month for unlimited data, you still can get data but they are charging you pay per use. When i had the first gen iPhone i unlocked it and put my moms AT&T sim card in it from a normal phone in it and without the wix block it started using the internet and racked up a bill of $30 for checking the mail for a mere 15 seconds.

So i tell you this so you don't get your money thrown away by accidently going on the internet with data plan off and racking up a huge ****ing bill!!

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

It depends on the CS rep you get. The two I tried to call to cancel rejected my request. I even offer to have them put me on the $30 blackberry personal plan to make it look legit that I wasn't trying to rip off ATT.

You best bet would be to wait 30 days until the iPhone frenzy has worn off. After 30 days, just tell them you aren't happy with the iPhone 3g and make up some excuse. If I were you, have an old ATT phone (in my case I always keep my old Moto V3xx) and put your SIM in their for a few days prior to calling up the ATT customer service rep. Tell him to put in the IMEI of your old phone and add a media net plan.

Once everything has gone through, just go online and cancel your medianet plan via OLAM.

The people who've gotten their iphone ($30 data plan) remove have gotten lucky with really dumb ATT CS reps. The smart ones simply tell you to return the phone since you are within the 30 day return policy. I had a really smart one; I complained that I would be stuck with a restocking fee; the ATT rep told me they would credit me $30 for my troubles so that method wouldn't work.

Again, it all depends on the att rep you get.

14. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

That's nonsense. Anyway, once you cancel the data plan (again, only talking about the first gen iPhone here) the $30 doesn't come off the bill until the bill after next. And it's prorated. I've been using then removing the data plan back and forth for months now. You do have to activate the per use charge. Once you cancel (and I've done this 4 times now) the "E" disappears and you have no internet when away from WiFi. The $30 you paid was still for the data plan that hadn't been dedcucted from your bill yet.

If the "E" does not disappear, and you still have internet 15 minutes after canceling it (the cancelation is almost immediate, and usually occurs within 1 minute) then call AT&T back and see what's up.

15. jozwikjp macrumors newbie

If you have a Jailbroken 3G Iphone the boss prefs program lets you disable both edge and 3g individually.

the regular 3g iphone does not have a option to turn of edge only 3g..

It stays disabled after to turn the phone off and on..

I would like to cancel my data plan as I have a wifi blanket all the places I go. And have no 3G coverage anywhere near my area..

I would like to here some confirmation of someone that canceled there data plan did not get some kinda ETF

For me I don't hardly talk on the phone my family has the smallest possible plan and we talk like 200 minutes a month combined so this $30 data plan is quite a price increase for as much as we use it. which is not really ever since we are always under wifi.

16. jozwikjp macrumors newbie

Also the ATT store people or people at the store totally lie. They are simply a wealth of false information in an attempt to increase there own commissions and give you the screw. I would contact ATT corporate 800 number not the local store to deal with this.

<side bitch>
    The method of which these phone had to be activated was so far behind completely ridiculous having to drive to the store, then pay to have it shipped to the store then drive back to the store.. OMG what corporate jackasses thought of that plan. They could have saved hundreds of millions of bucks not building all those stores and training all those people. As well as charged there customers more for activation to ship the phone activated directly to the customer. The this as a whole was made out of dumb ass. sorry..- </side bitch>

17. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I'm kind of curious about the data plan as well, I finally found out that my company offers the FAN discount ~22% and I always wanted to get the iphone, to replace my aging ipod and phone... duh. Anyway, I'm not looking to get the data plan on the iphone, just a voice plan, is that possible?

18. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I don't know why people post when they have no idea what they're talking about. It's completely possible to remove the data plan from an iPhone account, even with an iPhone on it.

OP, if you're just going to sell your iPhone and use a regular phone, buy the regular phone, call up AT&T and ask for an IMEI change. They'll put the new IMEI on your account and from there you're not locked in to being forced to get the iPhone data plan. You can then sell your iPhone. The only catch to this is that you'll need to buy a phone outright in order to do this, as you extended your contract to get the subsidy on the iPhone. You could probably sell the iPhone 3G to make up the difference in this though.

To anyone that has an iPhone and wants to use it on AT&T without data. You need to do the same thing. Get a standard phone, call up for an IMEI change and then have the data plan removed from your account. Then take the SIM out of that phone and put it in your iPhone. If you do this, make sure to either disable data in BossPrefs or have AT&T put a data block on your account. You don't want to be accidentally using data.

This same trick also works if you want to do the $15 MEdia Net plan. When you switch to a regular plan, just ask for the MEdia Net unlimited option. The only thing that won't work on your iPhone is Visual Voicemail and since the IMEI associated with your account is that of a standard phone, you won't get flagged. Bonus points if you use a UMTS enabled phone like the Samsung A727 if you live in a 3G area.

19. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Speaking from actual experience. If you remove all the data plan, you will NOT be able to access any data network on your iPhone, period.

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

The OP plans on selling the phone so it doesn't matter to him. Before i bought the iPhone i was thinking i was going to cancel the data because it's a little steep for me right now with the lack of work i have now. But it turns out it's really worth the extra $$ a month. I truly love having this phone and it really wouldn't be the same without the data plan.

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Yes I understand that. My response was more toward everyone else that commented on the thread.

22. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

OK.

23. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

so you removed yours then? on a 3G?

did you have to do the IMEI/sim change thing mentioned above?

24. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Long story. I kept my first gen phone and did a restore to move my stuffs from 3G and it won't activate unless I put my simcard in. So the following morning when I plug my sim card back into my 3G phone, I wasn't able to access data and the E/3G icon disappeared from top left corner while the signal bars are still there. I went online to check my account and discovered the data plan has been removed and system won't allow me to add it back on.

Called AT&T the first time and they couldn't add it either and created a ticket. Called again the 2nd time when my data was back on to make sure I wasn't stuck with some crazy bills. Found out I was back on the $20 plan, and the reason why my data wasn't working. Apparently AT&T registered my sim card to the first gen IMEI when I restored the phone and the system removed my 3G data plan along with ALL data plan. While they were switching my data plan back on 3G plan, nothing was working again until next morning.