Canceling IUP after 12 months...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by irod87, Oct 8, 2017.

1. irod87 macrumors regular

One of my lines which is on IUP is eligible for upgrade via the program but want to go back through AT&T this time. Has anyone gone through the process of returning the device and canceling the program? Whats the process?

2. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I don’t think you can return and cancel. Only upgrade. You’d have to sell it and pay off the balance.

3. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

i was under that impression till i saw this on the website.

What if I don’t want to upgrade with the iPhone Upgrade Program?
    You don’t have to. You can upgrade your iPhone with carrier financing or purchase an iPhone at full price, but you’ll need to return your current iPhone to Apple to close the existing loan.

4. Mercenary macrumors 65816

Mercenary

Isn't that only after the 24 month agreement period is over? 12 months isn't the actual length of the agreement, it's just when you can upgrade and enter a new 24 month agreement. Until the 24 Mo the is up, you are obligated to keep paying. At the end of those months you need to hand the phone back.

5. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

At the end of 24months, you own the phone outright.

6. Mercenary macrumors 65816

Mercenary

Correction. The term is 20 months not 24.

Also noticed that you don't have to include apple care+. They do a lower cost option without it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    iPhone X with apple care: 64gb £56.45
    iPhone X without apple care: 64gb £46.50

7. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You can't return the device and wipe the debt owed by canceling the program.

Surely you didn't think that.

8. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just going off what I am reading on Apple's website. If I had to payoff the loan I would not have to return the device. The verbiage says to return the phone to close the loan.

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

According to Apple website and the iPhone upgrade program:

"You don’t have to pay for your new iPhone all at once. You can simply pay over time. The full cost of your phone and AppleCare+ coverage is spread out over 24 months with 0% interest. And you can upgrade once you’ve made 12 payments."

This is in the US and I don't know if its different in other countries.

10. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

At this point I suggest you talk to Apple. If this is straight from them it certainly reads like you can just give it back after 12 payments.

Not positive but I don’t think anybody has a 20 month program, definitely not Apple.

11. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

12. Mercenary macrumors 65816

Mercenary

So 24 months for the us. It's 20 in the UK.

But no OP. You can't just hand back the phone to wipe away the debt as the phone itself is no longer worth as much as the loan. A phone, the moment you open it becomes negative equity meaning it's worth less than you paid. To end the agreement before the 24 months you need to pay off the balance where you will then own the phone.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You should be calling Apple to find out what exactly your options are then.

14. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

You are only allowed to return the phone to close the existing loan if you will be opening a loan or payment plan here at Apple as well, the two remaining payment method on the payment method screen: Carrier Financing Program, iPhone Payments. If you choose the One-time payment, that’s the time that you already own the phone. May I ask for your carrier? So I can send you the link, so you can see it on your end as well. Thanks!

That’s the screen where you will be seeing the payment methods. If you will change iPhone Upgrade Program to the AT&T Installment Programs, that’s the only time that you can return the phone to close the loan and open a loan for that program but just a reminder that your bill from your AT&T service and iPhone is still separate

This is from Chat.

15. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. So you still have to purchase a new iPhone from Apple directly but you can use any payment option.

16. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

I won't be able to try this until next week but I wonder if when I'm processing the upgrade on the IUP website if I will be prompted for payment type and then I can select carrier financing. Once I do that I would then process the upgrade and Apple would send me the new phone and they would want the IUP phone back and close the IUP loan.

17. Wags macrumors 65816

Wouldn't think you can switch from Apple to AT&T programs and trade in phone without completing other 12 months since switching companies. Terms unclear though.

18. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

The Terms & Conditions for US seem pretty clear: need to pay the balance of the loan.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

19. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

Not looking to trade in outside of the upgrade option. I'm going to exercise the upgrade option. I'm just wondering if when you do it if it gives you the option of staying with Apple financing option or switching to Carrier Financing.

The chat rep makes it sound like if you exercise the upgrade option you will be given the option for carrier financing, IUP financing or pay outright and if you choose carrier financing that is when you are allowed to return the device to apple and close the IUP loan.

I can't believe no one has attempted this yet.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    Sales Chat rep says you can simply surrender your IUP phone to close your IUP agreement. I'm surprised no one has been through this process.

20. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

When you go through the Apple app IUP it gives you the option to pay with IUP or carrier program. I'm wondering if that will slow down you phone if you use carrier. Verizon doesn't include Apple Care but is about $6 month cheaper.