Canceling T-Mobile to switch to AT&T for iPhone 4 - When do I cancel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pjstock42, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

I will be paying the $200 or so ETF with T-Mobile to sign up with AT&T.

I want to transfer my number and the Apple store reminder email said to just bring your other provider account number when you come pick up the phone launch day.

My question is, when Im there on launch day and they set up my phone, will that cancel my T-Mobile line immediately or do I need to do it before I go into the Apple store?

Thanks for the help.

2. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

you do not have to contact t-mobile. Once your number is ported over to AT&T they will get the hint and terminate your service.

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

You will need to cancel it after you get your number ported.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Nope. When Apple (or AT&T) port your number, they'll notify T-Mobile, and you'll get the final bill with the ETF.

BTW, the ETF might be less than $200. I think all providers are cutting the ETF by something like $5/month on your contract, so if you're a year in, that would be ~$60 lower.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Those saying your T-Mob acct will be automatically canceled when you initiate the port are correct. No need to call T-Mob. They will send you a bill.

Before you port I would recommend that you call T-Mob and get the unlock code for your phone if you haven't already unlocked it. They'll probably ask why you want to unlock. Tell them you are going overseas. They'll send you to the right dept. Once unlocked you can use it w/ any GSM service (assuming you have a tri-band or quad-band phone.) It also makes it easier to sell if its sellable.

6. Pjstock42 thread starter macrumors regular

i had a nokia n900 that i bought for 350 and just sold for 400, 200 for the ETF anf 200 for the new iphone :)

7. Appmamma macrumors newbie

no, the port automatically cancels Tmobile.

DO NOT cancel before... or they will not let you port your #. Just make sure you have the full account number.

8. looksandletters macrumors newbie

If you're more than 180 days away from your contract expiration, it's the full $200. 91-180 days is $100, less than that is $50. Nice surprise because I think I'll qualify for $100 instead of $200!

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

:) I knew someone would know!

10. Pjstock42 thread starter macrumors regular

One other question

When I port my number over does it cancel just that line or my entire Tmobile account?

I have another line on my account that I do not want cancel, so can I port my number without affecting the other line?

Thanks

11. emaja macrumors 68000

It just closes that number. Be sure to let AT&T do the port and don't even call T-Mobile. If you call and cancel, you will likely lose that phone number and no be able to get it back.