Canceling your AT&T iPhone 4S Pre-order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Techie79, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Techie79 macrumors newbie

I like many placed a pre-order with AT&T and have yet to get confirmation when I will receive my phones. There are several stores in my area with plenty of stock, so I decided to cancel my pre-order and go pick it up from the store. Some stores cannot cancel the pre-orders in the store for whatever reason, but some do. You can try your luck and head into a store to see if they can do it for you. Otherwise, you'll need to call AT&T.

I have a tip when calling AT&T. Don't call the order status line, they have no power to cancel and parrot the same line that you can't cancel your order. I discovered that if you get transferred to e-comerce department who handles online orders, they have the ability to cancel. I was given a direct number but haven't tried it myself. Here it is: 866-391-0749. I was transferred directly, spoke to a rep named Brandon, and successfully cancelled my order with no hassle, had my upgrades reverted, went to the store and picked up two new iPhone 4S (a 64GB white and a 32GB black). Took more than an hour.

If you're considering canceling and going to a store, give this a try. Good luck!

2. shadedred macrumors member

This is and was very helpful - I spoke to several different people and they all refused to cancel the pre-order.

3. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

How long does it take for the money to come back on the acct?

4. maddog91 macrumors regular

This...And just tell them you are going to report the card stolen and the bank will refuse the order and force a refund..they will listen..I got mined cancelled no problem the second time i called,she just said ok well ill be glad to help..but try the bank thing first..They don't want the headaches you will give them.and just be a child seriously the bigger the show the more they listen

5. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Idk about AT&T, but I cancelled my preorder with Sprint (BofA debit card). The next day I got an automated message saying that I will have my money in 7~10 business days. Also, my upgrade eligibility was reset immediately.

6. Techie79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't know. I used a credit card, so it's not coming out of my checking account.

7. AllStarDRose macrumors newbie

Techie, what did you exactly say? I know it's the weekend and i cant get a hold of CSR. I will ask to be transferred to the E-Commerce Dept, but what should i say? "I am at the store, i want to cancel my pre-order and purchase via store"?

8. Techie79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I said I preordered 2 iPhone 4S which are on back order. I want to cancel and revert my upgrade so I can pick the, up I the store. I made sure to go through the long general customer service lines rather than the order status lines. It is a much longer wait, but it's a back door to the online orders department. When I got thought to the last person, I simply said, I want to cancel my preorder, order number blah blah. He did it, not questions asked. Try the direct number I listed, might save you all the transfer troubles.

Good luck. This process is hit and miss.

9. AllStarDRose macrumors newbie

THANKS! I called them using the number you provided, i got stuck in the Order Status line (idk if you can avoid it) but it took me longer to wait in line than to cancel my order. Once i got through to a CSR, i politely asked to be transferred to E-Commerce Department. Once i was in the E-Commerce Department, it took not a minute longer than 10 mins to get my order cancelled. As the CSR reassured me, it's only possible to cancel the orders if they haven't be Allocated/Shipped from the warehouse. I just checked my email. they emailed me a notification of my order being cancelled. SWEET!

Thanks TECHIE! I'm going to pick up the phone from a local store soon.