Cancellation Fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by semperfimarine2, May 9, 2007.

1. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

I am with sprint right now and am certain and determined to get the iPhone. I already have the money for the phone and plan ($599 + little more for taxes). I was wondering if anyone out there knows the fee to cancel a sprint phone? Or if anyone knows how to cancel a phone for free? Or even better, to cancel one at the cheapest fee to pay. If so i would really appreciate it, thanks.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i left sprint almost three years ago, and it cost me $150 to get out of a contract with them. but that was three years ago. it might be more now.

3. semperfimarine2 thread starter macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

Thanks siurpeeman, that at least gives me an idea on how much i would need. If anyone has recently left sprint, maybe you can tell me how much it is now if it has changed.

4. ejbenjamin macrumors member

I canceled my Sprint contract in September and it was $150.

5. semperfimarine2 thread starter macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

ok. thanks i appreciate it. That helps me out alot!!

6. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

It is rumored that Cingular will be buying out people's cancellation fees. They will pay a portion of it up front, they pay the rest of it after one year of service.

So the rumor goes..

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, about the only way to get out of a contract for free is to complain about the reception (home, travel area, etc) or tell them you are moving to a location that the carrier does not cover. :)

On a side note, Cingular tried to charge me a cancellation fee for cancelling an additional line on our family talk plan. I told them to either waive the fee, or I would pay the $250 to cancel my entire account. Amazingly, they promply "found a way" to waive the fee. It might have helped that we've been with Cingular since they were Southwestern Bell Wireless in the mid-90's.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Die

9. sir42 macrumors 6502

There are certain sites, like www.cellswapper.com that can match you with people willing to take over your contract. I also have sprint and will be looking to do this when the iphone is released. There is a caveat though. I'm not sure if you can keep your # when assigning your contract to someone else and I have not been able to get a definitive answer on the matter. Since I use my cell phone for business, I don't think I will use cellswapper unless I know for sure that I can keep my number.

10. semperfimarine2 thread starter macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

OK!!! ill cut my throat in a few seconds. Just wanted to ask you someth...............

(in case you didnt know, thats where i died.)

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

FYI, its $150 per line...sucks if you have a shared plan.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How far into the contract are you.

I still don't understand why people think the iPhone is worth a change in providers, its a big gamble and then you are stuck with Cingular for 2 years if you hate the phone and or service.

13. gr8gatzby macrumors member

I run a Sprint Nextel shop and must regretfully inform you that the early termination fee is now $200 per line, as of 2 months ago.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Why don't you call them or look at your contract. :rolleyes:

15. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

16. semperfimarine2 thread starter macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

we renewed our contract in december and i am sharing it with my family (5 lines total). I will only be cancelling my line since im the only one getting the iPhone (as i know of). I have already saved up all the money and really want one so i decided that i will get it for sure.

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know exactly how cell phone contracts go and stuff, but would it be possible to convert your plan into a pay-as-you-go option? that way you could just cancel your plan when the contract expires wihtout having to pay monthly fees. as i type this, the more sure i am cell providers have already thought of this. :eek:

18. kevinwiz macrumors regular

Why don't you google it? not everything warrants a post.