Cancellation of iPad2 Order

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ViPhone, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ViPhone macrumors 6502

So I was wondering, is it possible to order the new iPad, go to the Apple store and get a new one, then cancel your online order?

This way, if I didn't get the one I wanted at the store. I always have one ordered. And vice versa.

It's a back-up plan.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The one you ordered would probably have to be delivered and returned

3. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

You can gamble that it is still possible to cancel. When you place an order with Apple, as with my online merchants, there is some time where you can still cancel until it goes into "preparing for shipment" state when it no longer is possible to cancel. As Apple has implied that online orders made on Friday will ship immediately I would suspect within hours of your online order you won't be able to cancel.

4. Saberj macrumors regular

Does Apple allow you to return the online order to an Apple store?

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

From "Viewing & Changing Orders" on http://store.apple.com/us/help

So the key will be how far along the order is in the process.

Worst case, refuse delivery or return it depending on what customer service at the online store tells you to do if it's not cancellable when you call to cancel.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Depends on how fast Apple processes the orders. There is a window of time where you can log in, press a cancel button and done. If Apple states "ships within 24 hours" though it's a small window. You can return it but you'll have to front the shipping costs -- $14 or so including insurance.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

The first Ipad was new and something to wait in line for. Ipad 2? meh .. I'll just order it off best buys site whenever it's in stock and pick up in Delaware to avoid the sales tax.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just realize if it ships... you have paid twice
    And though you will be able to get your money back, you will need double on your card or in your account for a period of time to cover both purchases

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Yup.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is a backup plan really necessary for a device that is essentially a luxury device?
    Anyway, if it ships it is yours. You'll just have to return it.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't wait for the thread on how ****ed up Apple is for not letting him cancel the order, charging his debit card and some bill payment wouldn't go through. Apple consumers…gotta love 'em. :D

12. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

This is the smartest idea ever.

Almost as genius as when going to the movies, have 1 friend get the popcorn while the other gets the ticket (if they are sold at seperate stations, and even if that 1 friend doesnt have cash or debit)

I am certain that if your able to get your hands on the iPad via the Apple Store, and still get charged for the online order, Apple will clear that up if you call them and explain.

The only problem I see with this, is Apple may not pay the overcharge fees if your balance is 0 when you purchase it, they will just refund whatever the iPad is worth, and at that price, the fees could be $100-200.

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

In my past experience they won't let you return online purchases to the retail stores.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

Are you making this Up?

The question was asked during the Pad #1 launch and Apple said NO online returns to store. You will be on the hook to pay shipping back to Apple.

15. ichii macrumors 6502

ichii

I'm planning to do the same, won't get out of work till 4:30pm. Anyone knows how long it takes to get the iPad or any apple product to ship to the east coast?

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's just ridiculous. I've returned online purchases to Apple stores several times (and yes, also an iPad when I returned my wife's WiFi purchased on pre-order).

17. dread macrumors 6502a

If you buy one at the store and one online just use your receipt from the store to return the online purchase. Do you think they can tell the difference? No way.

18. JAG77 macrumors member

returns?

Does Apple allow online orders (apple.com) to be returned to an authorized retailer?

19. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

This whole thread is a joke. The OP should be ashamed of pulling crap like that. You will essentially block someone else who really wants one from getting one because you are trying to cover yourself. Just go to apple on Friday. You'll be fine

20. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

To avoid paying the shipping charges, just refuse the delivery. Just don't sign for it. Problem solved.

21. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Really? It's not like there's a known shortage. You act as if he is taking food off of someone's plate.

22. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Ok, well if there is no known shortage than the whole thing is a waste of time. Just get one on Friday. You'll be fine. Problem solved:rolleyes:

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I totally agree.

I, on the other hand, plan on ordering an iPad2 online then returning the box with an iPad1 in it. Think they'll notice?

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I would just pick one method or another. I wouldn't order twice and try to cancel one and then possibly having to deal with returning it. Just not worth the hassle in my opinion.

25. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

BZZZ! Serial number is on the receipt.