Cancelled AT&T unlimited text message plan = Texts no longer work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by converge, Oct 17, 2011.

1. converge macrumors member

One of the first things I did after upgrading to iOS 5 was cancel my unlimited text message plan. I used AT&T's "manage features" option on their website to do this. However, over the weekend, I noticed I was not getting any responses from the text messages I was sending to people. I figured out that I was not able to send or receive standard text messages. But I was able to send and receive iMessages.

Apparently, people are having an issue with iOS 5 because they have too many text messages and going over a now-imposed limit. However, when I upgraded, I restored as a new phone. I didn't have any text messages to start with! So I don't think that's my issue.

After restoring again to no avail, I figured out the solution. I went back on AT&T's website and re-enabled the $20 unlimited text message plan. Miraculously I was able to now send and receive text messages!

What is the deal with this? Is AT&T disabling text messages if you don't have a text message plan but are using iMessages instead?

2. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you didn't click no text messages instead of the pay as you go option by mistake. I had a friend do this my mistake before.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

On your iPhone, go to Settings - Messages.

Make sure "Send As SMS" is set to ON and not to OFF.

4. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Most of my friends and relatives have iPhones sucks that AT&T only offers unlimited or pay as you go. iMessage works so much faster then SMS and its free.