Cancelled Direct TV, Phone and DSL

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hexonxonx, Jun 18, 2008.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

On Sunday, I had high speed cable installed.

Today, I called to have my Direct TV, DSL and home phone service disconnected.

I finally got tired of the slow 1.5MB DSL. I was so tired of the slow downloads and having to leave the computer on for days to download a few TV show seasons from iTunes. Last night, I purchased two seasons of the Sopranos and it took about 5 hours to download both seasons on my high speed cable. MUCH BETTER! I can download a movie in 17 minutes instead of 3 hours!

As for my Direct TV, I haven't turned on my TV in at least two months because I was so busy watching 24 and Lost and other TV shows.

Home phone? I haven't used that since my iPhone arrived last summer!

I now have a TV in every room that does nothing!

Am I crazy or what? iTunes and everything Apple are now rulling my life :)

2. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I don't own a TV, never have. My mother was a couch potato and it really turned me off of owning a TV.

I have a iPhone and a wireless broadband card for my laptop, I don't really need any other gadgets.

I've thought about setting up a nice theater at home, but I'd rarely use it.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I wish I could get decent cable where I am, and I might go that route too. Unfortunately Cox cable (or Suddenlink as they call it here) is my only choice, and I have heard nothing but bad about them I have 3Mb DSL and don't really have a problem with it. esp. since it is only $35/mo instead of the $65/mo that Suddenlink wants. Still, if Time Warner were available here I might just go for it. I get tired of DirecTV going south on rainy days.

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Well the thing that upset me the most about my DSL was that when I had an apartment, I had the 6MB DSL through Qwest. I then moved across town and got a house and the fastest DSL through Qwest here is 1.5MB. All I did was move 11 miles away. That was 2.5 years ago and they still don't have the 6MB DSL here yet. I did some speed tests on my cable and if speedtest.net is accurate, I get anywhere from 15MB up to 30MB early morning hours. Blazingly fast!

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Man I would kill for 1.5 mbps DSL. We have 128 kbps WISP. :(

Still, enjoy your cable. :)

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

3 hours? I have bellsouth DSL 1.5 service, and get a 1.10gb movie in about 15 min.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Very true. My parents have 1.5 DSL and download a movie in about 15 minutes. But I can do it on my FIOS in under 10. :D

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Those are not real numbers. What you are seeing is powerburst.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, the distance between your location and the teleco's office plays a huge factor in how fast your DSL connection can be.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4676