Cancelled iPod touch 16GB

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mrmacosx, Sep 17, 2007.

1. mrmacosx macrumors member

Hey,
    I recently ordered a 16GB iPod touch in favor of getting it at my local electronics store. Was this a good call?

K

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well the preorders hopefully woulnt have all of these issues at least I'm hoping

3. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

Hard to say. Since none of the pre-orders have shipped yet, there is no way to know if they will exhibit issues like some of the "pre-release" units. Are you planning to get it from an Apple store, or some other store (Best Buy, etc.)?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i honestly think theres alot more people complaining then those that are having no issues. musch like the rss for the macbooks a while ago.

5. CiscoGuru&aMac macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

I returned mine and got an iPhone, at this point and in my case, I think it was absolutely the best thing to do.

I am loving the iPhone, incredible for $400.

Comes with the dock and a power brick to boot.

Once the touch gets fixed, I will definitely pick one up, I love the 16GB of memory.

6. Garrett macrumors regular

They won't be able to create a whole new Bach of iPod's in 10 days. Anyhow they guy at my store told me that all iPod's are almost made for shipping. There is no way to diagnose the problem, make million a of new screens ship them to the factorys and apply them, let alone then ship them...no way Jose.

7. B.A. macrumors regular

That seems to be what I'm leaning towards. Can you use the iPhone like a Touch (iPod, iTunes, Safari (wifi), no phone/text/etc) without activating it?

8. pachnerg macrumors newbie

there's free software to unlock it on this site but it will probably be "locked" in a future update so i would stick with the touch...

9. CiscoGuru&aMac macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

Not only can you use the iPhone like a touch, it's really a better Touch all the way around.

The Touch will evolve into what we all want, but for now, I am staying away from it.

To answer your questions, iPod, iTunes, Safari (WiFi), and YouTube can be used without activation (YouTube is a seperate hack). It's a little delicate to complete, you have to be careful, however, you can activate the phone without issues and use it just like a Touch.

As far as Apple fixing the "Unlocking", no question the new update will address this. However, "Unlocking" the phone for GSM SIM use is NOT the same as simply spoofing activation.

All you have to do is not update your iPhone until the tweakers figure out if it's safe or not.

Many people are doing this. If you already have a cell and don't want to cancel to go to ATT and pay the penalty, it's a great alternative until your plan expires.

I personally think it was a shrewd business move to lock all iPhone features until the phone is activated with ATT. This way Apple makes money on you twice and forces more subscriptions...

spoof activate it and enjoy the hell out of it.

You get a speaker, the damn touch has no speaker, weak!

You get a calender you can edit, google maps (WiFi), the Camera, a free power brick and dock, it's a much better deal despite 8GB less memory.

Plus interface hacking (Don't even think about it unless you know what you're doing) is awesome. It won't be long for the Touch.

I will eventually have both.

10. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Ever wonder why? The message boards make up a tiny percent of people who have purchased the product, if you have NO problems with your product are you really gonna sign up and post on a message board saying how great it is. Or is the majority of posts going to be from people trying to get an answer/solution for their problem?

11. mrmacosx thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks for the prompt replies. I just decided to re-order it from the online Apple Store. Apparently it's going to ship on the 28th and arrives before the 3rd of October. If I were going to buy it from a shop I'd probably buy it from an Apple Store.

K

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh i know its just that people reading these forums get a very skewed perception about a product