Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bremel

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Belgium
I've also made the decision and ordered a MacBookAir 13" 8GB/256GB today!
I save about €600 compared to the RMPB and I've compared the weight in the store, and indeed it's still quite a difference.
Also decided not to upgrade to the 512GB. And buy a 2TB WD Passport for about half the price of the upgrade. Since it's mostly to store films, photo's and music. So in stead of 256GB more I now have 2TB more and I still save money. Seemed lik a good deal to me. :)

A good thread this, made me come to my senses after the initial vibe of the RMBP.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I've also made the decision and ordered a MacBookAir 13" 8GB/256GB today!
I save about €600 compared to the RMPB and I've compared the weight in the store, and indeed it's still quite a difference.
Also decided not to upgrade to the 512GB. And buy a 2TB WD Passport for about half the price of the upgrade. Since it's mostly to store films, photo's and music. So in stead of 256GB more I now have 2TB more and I still save money. Seemed lik a good deal to me. :)

A good thread this, made me come to my senses after the initial vibe of the RMBP.

I actually saved a full grand b.c I went 13" i5/8/128

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Bravo, OP! And I totally agree with you about the Retina MBP still being too heavy at 4.5 pounds, as well as your other reasons.

nserp

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Not to rain on anyone's parade (I am "13MBA as Primary" user since 2010)
But when I read Anand's scaling options on RMBP article - it made me think twice (about getting my dream MBA)

Effectively you can run RMBP at "1680" or "1920" resolution
(ironically you can't access full 2880 as it's only used with HiDPi which gives you "1440")

I didn't see it with my own eyes yet, but screenshots look really compelling so far - you don't get the blur - the one that you get when you downscale your non-retina display.

Now I really miss Retina on Air :(
(Just imagine running effective "1680" on your 11" HiDPi 2732 x 1536 screen :eek:)

----------

I can add that if MBAs were still limited to 4GB I would go for 8/16GB RMBP without thinking much.
Now I'm on the fence :rolleyes:

Hmm - interesting. Speaking as a 15" MBP 2008 owner, who's itching to upgrade, I paid a visit to the local Apple store this evening, knowing that my credit card would be safe as they only had a display model. I struggled to see the difference between the hi-res anti-glare MBP and the MBPR, other than the £900 difference and your comment would explain why. So for the same price I could get a MBP and a MBA for family use to keep them away from my MBP. Food for thought indeed. Though there seems to be a lot of love for the MBA. Maybe I should take that and give the family the MBP!

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I would just buy the most basic MBA 13 incher for now(perhaps w/ 8 gig of memory). SSD will continue to come down in price... It doesn't make sense to go for 512 SSD.. Unless you have lot of money, go for low MBA 13 incher for now and try to upgrade later. If that is not an option and you don't have money, get MBP and upgrade SSD..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.