Cancelling 3Gs Contract Questions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MotherFinMike, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

I plan to cancel my contract an pay the ETF + activation my question is do I just call on the 30th day of me having the phone an just tellem some BS story of why I don't want it.. or what?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You'll want to wait until 31+ days afterwards and you just tell them you want to cancel. They'll remind you of the ETF/last month's charges and say it's fine - send me the bill.

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Extra things to think about. Someone else may have a clear answer on this, but canceling like this might lose your phone number. Unless you started a new account with a number you don't care about. Again, maybe someone can say for sure. And if you plan stick with ATT, to go month to month plan, there may be a wait period.

4. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

From what I understand, if you want to keep your number, DO NOT cancel directly with AT&T. Instead, go to your preferred carrier -- i.e., whichever carrier you're going back to -- and tell them you want to port your number back to the network. That will effectively cancel your AT&T account that day, and you'll still have your phone number. For T-Mobile US, this process can take anywhere between 24 and 48 hours, depending on whether your old SIM card is ready to use or not.

5. MotherFinMike thread starter macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

I only got the phone to cancel it, I wasn't 100% percent sure how long I had to wait.. I have been on Tmobile for a few years..

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

You realize you basically have to pay for 2 months service. ATT will not prorate the second month.

That's why they force you to cancel after 30 days. You can cel before 30 days you must return phone or be charged full retail price $599/699.

You wait until day 31, you en up paying for the full second month but you get to keep your phone. But you end up paying an extra $40-50 for second month since ATT will not prorate your last months bill.

So ATT will get their money from you. You end up basically paying almost the full retail money for the iPhone with your $36 activation fee your $175 ETF and your 2 months of ATT service.

7. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Great point. I was not aware of this. Good to know now, since I am actually planning to do all this later this month -- i.e., switching from AT&T back to T-Mobile. I miss having my T-Mobile Customer Loyalty Unlimited Calling Plan for only $49.99/month! I think it'll be worth all the extras fees from AT&T. Thanks again for pointing this out.

8. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Cancel it today and return the iPhone.

9. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Does the OP want to keep the iPhone to use on T-Mobile's network though?

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

i have a cancelation question too im on Rogers network and i called the *611 number to have 3G activated 500 mb if i remeber correctly they said there is no cancelation fee yet my bill says i have a contract term of 36 months. did the CSR lie to me? or am i hearing things?

cause i specificaly asked about cancelation if i was disatisfied with the service, ijust dont remeber exactly what their response was.

11. MotherFinMike thread starter macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

Never knew anything about the 2nd month that they charge you ohh well.

12. MotherFinMike thread starter macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

Yup I am using me an my wife use our 3G's on Tmo

$160 a month For Unlimited Mins(Loyality plan)/Text/Data I don't think I can get anywhere near that price on Att..

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Let me know how it turns out. I'm waiting for thr next 3 weeks before my 30 days... 3g speed is nice but not worth it.

14. MotherFinMike thread starter macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

so I cancelled my contract yesterday an here is my total

$371 (Phone plus tax)
    117 (first monthes bill + activation)
    170 (cancellation)

they didn't charge me another month.. its just says $170...

15. na300zx macrumors member

So you were able to cancel and keep your phone? I too am in the same situation. I paid my first month + prorate and I am on my third billing cycle. I love the phone to death, but the service in the southeast is complete garbage. Im going back to Verizon/Alltell.

16. MotherFinMike thread starter macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

I cancelled on my 31st days so I only had to pay the 170

I already had paid my 1st + activation