Cancelling AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by darbklue, Aug 24, 2012.

1. darbklue macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have purchased a brand new macbook air from the Regent Street store in London and used my higher education discount. Stupid me, I did not know that with HE discount, I have complimentary 3-year hardware warranty. So, I purchased AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift too. Now, I have learned it and would like to cancel my applecare uplift. Can I do that? If so, how can I do it? Via telephone, internet, or through retail store?

Thanks

2. WesCole macrumors 6502a

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Call Apple and they can cancel it. You'll get a refund of any unused coverage.

4. darbklue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all.

Also I have one more question.

If I bought the air without HE pricing, but with tax-return (my dad is going back to Germany and I will visit Germany 2 weeks later, so I can get my computer at that time), would it be cheaper? I know that VAT is %20 in UK now, but would I get the whole %20 at the airport? If so, I will bring back this air and get a refund and then buy with tax return, since HE discount is %14.

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

No clue about the tax issue since I am unfamiliar with how that works over there. Maybe someone who has experience with that kind of stuff will chime in.

6. stchman macrumors 6502a

Should he get a 100% full refund seeing as AppleCare from a hardware standpoint does not even kick in for a year?

----------

IMO AppleCare is virtually worthless as they don't cover drops and spills.

I've been using laptops for years, and in my experience unless you drop them or spill water on them, they are going to last for at least 3 years. If there is a hardware problem, the odds are in your favor that something hardware will fail in the 1st year.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the link WesCole posted:
    AppleCare extends more than just hardware coverage. It also extends telephone support from 90 days to 3 years.

8. stchman macrumors 6502a

Agreed about the phone support, but buying a Mac you get 90 days of free phone support.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's what I said in the post you quoted.

10. JVlasy macrumors newbie

You are NOT eliligible for Tax refund since you are EU citizen traveling within EU open market zone. Tax refunds are only for non-EU citizens in Europe. Anyway if you get a tax refund you are obliged to declare any goods at the Custom when entering your country. There is also no duty free shops onboard EU flights - departing and arriving at EU airport.

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If you bought it in a brick and mortar store, you don't get the HE warranty. It's online apple store education orders only.