Cancelling AT&T Text Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

If I cancel my AT&T text plan will that prevent incoming texts to my number with AT&T account?

My plan is to use a free text app and not have to pay AT&T at all for texting. My fear is that if someone sends a text to my cell phone number I will be charged a premium by AT&T because I won't have any of their text plans. But I am thinking that since I won't have a plan, texts shouldn't be allowed access to my phone. Or at least that is the way it should be if I don't want texting. Am I wrong in this thinking?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No. You have to call and ask them to block all text msgs. It's free.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, so they can actually do that then?

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yep just call them and tell them you want it blocked. I had to do that on data on one of my kids plans a few years back. they said they could not do that so I said ok cancel my accounts I am switching to verizon and they suddenly found a way!

5. jgayman macrumors member

Without a text plan text messages are only $0.20 each.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I kind of figured this, but think it's unfair that they can charge me to receive unwanted texts, when I don't want a text plan. Seems like a person should be able to own a smart phone without the ability to text.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

agreed! but it has nothing to do with a smart phone. they do this with every phone. but you can cancel you just have to ask or demand if they try to talk you out of it. it is a very good revenue stream for them. $0.20 doesnt sound like much but my family plan has already gone over 7400 texts this month. (2 teenage daughters!). you can do the math!

8. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

You don't have UNLIMITED?!?

9. jgayman macrumors member

I think it goes without saying that he has the umlimited plan. :) I guess my age is showing as I still don't get texting at that level. When I had my flip-phone I too was tempted to have texting disabled. While I never SEND texts, there are occasional texts that I want to receive - like school sports schedule changes, etc. At most I get 2-3 of these a month and the $0.60 - $1.00 is well worth it.

I will agree, Texting is a HUGE cash cow for the cellular carriers.

10. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I think, with stuff like Twitter (which I know people don't get into till their 20s usually) and constant Texting / IMing, we are gradually evolving into the Borg. :) You can pretty much know what all your friends are thinking and doing all the time. It will be interesting to see when todays 13 and 14 year olds get out of college and move to the workplace and IT tells them they can't do it anymore.